ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

reserved characters in NTFS

<< < (3/3)

tomos:
Someone (I think it's Skwire in one of his apps) uses the Yen symbol for paths
¥

(it's allowed in filenames)

Curt:
#  is maybe the only logic replacement sign, since it can mean anything when you search for file names.

Ath:
I think it's rather silly to try to change the NTFS driver/behavior to support special characters that are actually reserved/designated for separating and selecting drives, directories and files. That's not a plausible route to go.

So, if you can't solve it directly, add an extra indirection, meaning, store the information in some (searchable) fileformat, like one of several available note-storage programs, designed for tasks like these :up:

skwire:
Someone (I think it's Skwire in one of his apps) uses the Yen symbol for paths -tomos (April 06, 2012, 05:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, that is a side effect of running Japanese as the default language on my English Windows boxes; most backslashes show up as Yen symbols.  I've gotten so used to it over the years that I hardly notice it anymore.

Renegade:
Someone (I think it's Skwire in one of his apps) uses the Yen symbol for paths -tomos (April 06, 2012, 05:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, that is a side effect of running Japanese as the default language on my English Windows boxes; most backslashes show up as Yen symbols.  I've gotten so used to it over the years that I hardly notice it anymore.
-skwire (April 06, 2012, 07:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

The Korean won symbol (₩) serves the same purpose. However, I don't think either are legal in file names...

Scratch that... I just did a quick look, and it appears that the won symbol (and yen symbol) are legal, BUT, the \ character in Korean and Japanese is displayed differently as a won and yen symbol, respectively. So, while they "look" different than the \ character, under the hood they are the same.

So, if you use a \, then convert it to Korean/Japanese, it will change, and vice versa. And none of those characters are equivalent to the KRW or JPY symbols - ₩ or ¥.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version