ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

reserved characters in NTFS

<< < (2/3) > >>

nudone:
Perhaps it would be handy to come with a short list of alternative legal characters like tilde and that pipe thing with a gap in it. (sorry, i'm on an iPad and can't find the characters, except ~.)

justice:
Don't use NTFS. You might be able to mount the partition under linux or boot from something like Hiren's BootCD and rename the offending files.

x16wda:
AFAIK, nope.
-skwire (April 04, 2012, 04:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
If you REALLY want to use them, then you can create an NTFS stream and name it "name" or something like that, then put the file name in there and write a custom browser that reads those file names.
-Renegade (April 04, 2012, 09:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1

kalos:
I want to name these files with such characters, because each file contains info about a specific substance and I want to use the name of the substance in the file name, to create an easily searchable (by filename) database

Perhaps it would be handy to come with a short list of alternative legal characters like tilde and that pipe thing with a gap in it. (sorry, i'm on an iPad and can't find the characters, except ~.)
-nudone (April 05, 2012, 01:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

unfortunately a list of alternative legal characters seems the only handy solution, where can I find one that is as much as universal as possible? ie. many people use it

nudone:
Here's a list of characters (probably not the best resource) http://www.theworldofstuff.com/characters/

The problem seems to be the convenience of being able to use alternate characters; it's not too practical to start using a system that you can't type with standard keyboard shortcuts. With my UK keyboard, these are legal characters readily available to use:

¦ (this is the one I mentioned above, named "Broken vertical bar", this isn't the "pipe" character.)
¬
=
+
~
@
&
^
'
#
]
[
}
{
)
(
&
%
$
£
!
`
I've seen ~ used instead of \ to indicate directory structures (maybe that's common?).

I guess you could use:

¦ for |

¬ for \

~ for /

~ for \

Or double up common elements (just using similar "slants" within the characters) like:

%% or ,,  or ## for /

`` or && for \

It would be nice if there is a standard that people have already embraced, I agree.

edit:
I've just realised it would be quite difficult coming up with similar looking characters for things like * and ? (well, all of them really). The large problem is not being able to use characters that are going to cause confusion because they are used reguarly, e.g. would it be bad to use ; in place of : etc., etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version