topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:19 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: tabbed Better Explorer for W7  (Read 3766 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
tabbed Better Explorer for W7
« on: May 09, 2012, 04:37 PM »
For almost two years they have been repeatedly updating a replacement for Explorer: Better Explorer, now at version 2.0.0.861 Alpha. One special "feature" is, that if you are one of those people that have W7 and already have decided that you will not upgrade to W8, then this tabbed file manager just may be what you would like it to be, because so far it is for 32-bit Windows 7 only.
Edited: The "32 bit only" was a false rumor - sorry! Better Explorer works just fine on 64 bit as well.

Freeware, open source.
Home: "CodePlex, Project Hosting for Open Source Software": http://bexplorer.codeplex.com/.  

The main goals of this project are:
- Adding Ribbon Control UI like in Windows 8 (Implemented)
- Adding tab functionality together with use of standard explorer browser control (Implemented)
- Adding additional features like:

Changing Library icons (conditional tab for Libraries) (Implemented)
    File operation with files and folders(Implemented)
    Synchronized command promt
    Change of folder icons (conditional tab for folders)
    Extended Jump list support (Windows 7)(Implemented)
    Extended search conditional tab like extended search pane in Vista (Windows 7)(In progress. Most of them implemented)

click thumbnail picture to enlarge:

1.pngtabbed Better Explorer for W7

http://bexplorer.codeplex.com/
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 01:54 AM by Curt »

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: tabbed Better Explorer for W7
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 04:56 PM »
I wonder why theres no x64 support  :(

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 05:13 PM »
I remember reading that 64 bit support would take the double number of DLLs. Better Explorer does work on 64 bit versions, but slower. And if it doesn't work, they have a reg file to make it do so. But in general I know nothing about Better Explorer because I stopped caring when I upgraded to 64 bit W7.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 05:21 PM »
I remember reading that 64 bit support would take the double number of DLLs. Better Explorer does work on 64 bit versions, but slower. And if it doesn't work, they have a reg file to make it do so. But in general I know nothing about Better Explorer because I stopped caring when I upgraded to 64 bit W7.

To be fair, I have no intention of using this, as I am not a fan of this Ribbon UI crap, just struck me as curious why they didn't add 64 support (Seeing as most Win7 users will be on 64bit)

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 01:22 AM »
I remember reading that 64 bit support would take the double number of DLLs.
That is a really lame excuse not to release a x64 version >:(

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 01:51 AM »
This is embarrassing; I have trusted and quoted an ignorant (The Windows Club), instead of testing to see if he was right! Better Explorer (BEx) is reported to work just fine on 64 bit! But is expected to work even faster when certain updates have been performed:

mileslowe
Apr 1 at 9:37 PM

I just found this software in latest issue of PC World and right away went and got it, installed it about 5 minutes ago and (...). A site said 64 bit is slow but not noticing anything yet that is of concern - thank you so much for so much in a great software!

-BEx user

jacobrh94
Developer
Apr 3 at 6:35 AM

I think why the site said something about 64-bit being slow is because Dimitar isn't able to test it on a 64-bit system. I personally have a 64-bit system, and I agree, it's notably fast. But in my opinion, there's still a way to go. Just wait for my update by the end of the month.
-BEx developer
-Better Explorer forum

Sorry!  :-[