ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

the home PC network enigma

<< < (2/3) > >>

Steven Avery:
Hi,

4wd, I had run into some of the points you are making (e.g. the naming, the encryption) in this article.

Solution For LAN Connection Between Windows XP And Windows 7
http://hackspc.com/solution-for-lan-connection-between-windows-xp-and-windows-7/

And I didn't realize, but I may have more of the network up than I thought, after following that.  I see my Windows 7 is showing one other computer in the network and sharing center.  A big plus.

More laters.  Keep sharing.  (I may have a couple of other article tidbits, and I'll give a progress report of how it is going on my basic 3 attempt).

Steven

4wd:
Yes, I think that's where I got the encryption thing from.

There's a few more things you could look at if you're experiencing slow response from the XP side, (don't know how relevant they still are):

Mapped drive - slow response at first
Slow network browsing in XP

Steven Avery:
Hi,

I was reading up on the VPN (virtual private network) situation as an alternative, or supplementary. There are a few things that confuse the semi-novice.  Especially, VPN is used for two entirely different things, proxy and network, and the reviews don't always make the distinction clear.  

And when used as a network, I wonder if there is a distinction between "all behind the same router" and "general".  And I gather there are hardware-based router things like QuickVPN.

On the network level, LogMeIn's Hamichi seems to be the ease-of-use favorite.  Comodo's Unite may be interesting, along with Gbridge (google), although I tend to avoid those companies on some things. OpenVPN and Remobo are two more that look interesting, and there are a few more goodies.

And what is the relationship between VNC and VPN. I remember once I connected to a mini-computer through a router using a special protocol program and, I think, both of the above.  However, VNC may not apply to my discussion here.

Note: I am not concerned about remote access and remote control, TeamViewer and many others do that fine, the interest is network (back-door minicomputer).  Such as using one master file as the direct source for bookmark and notes programs without going to Dropbox, etc.  

Teamviewer does have a VPN option, which I have not researched, and since their program is very, very good, that should be in the mix.  In that case you are using the same setup for both.

Here is the big question:

functionally and set-up-wise and stability and response and all .. how does your VPN compare to your local Windows network peer-to-peer attempt. Are they generally complementary or exclusive attempts ? And do people like having their work computer on VPN.  Watching out, of course, for the security issues.  (e.g. on how many password requests does Teamviewer time out ?  Why isn't that easy to find.).

And 1 major big issue is whether you succeed in getting full, fairly easy, direct mapping of drives.  With any alternative.

Steven

Cloq:
I've always used shared drives (Samba) between Windows and Linux boxes and can't recall ever having a problem.  In other words, I don't ever use Network Neighborhood or its ilk, just mapped drives.
-skwire (April 03, 2012, 07:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Same here. Mapped drives seems be more stable and much easier to setup.

Steven Avery:
Hi,

So what is the recommended de minimis method, with mixed Windows puters (Linux / Samba later) of reliably mapping drives:

a) behind a router
b) one extra PC away at work

Steven

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version