ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Any ideas for a save website crawler for offline reading?

<< < (3/4) > >>

rjbull:
Obvious suggestion, contact Tonec about IDM crashing.  There are lots of other download managers, at least some of which have Web crawling ability.  I'm pretty sure I've done it with Free Download Manager (FDM) but don't have it installed here and can't work out from the Web site whether it can do logins...  can't work it out from ReGet Deluxe either  :(

Maybe WebReaper (donationware)?  It does mention Proxy & website authentication, allowing websites with passwords or behind firewalls to be reaped.
--- End quote ---

cyberdiva:
I used to use a program called Web Research that allowed me to save all or part of a web page.  One of its features is it permits you to save some or all pages linked to the page you want to save.  (I didn't use that feature, since I was always interested in saving just all or part of a single page.)  Your needs may be more complex, but I thought I'd mention it.  Web Research has both a "Personal" and a "Professional" version--the former is quite modestly priced.  I don't know whether the two have similar features--I own the Professional version.

kfitting:
Web Research seems very interesting... how does it store the websites?  Local Website Archive stores the html so you dont need LWA to view the articles you've downloaded.  Does Web Research use a proprietary format?

katykaty:
What does the course tutor say? They may be prepared to share the source documents.

Carol Haynes:
It is a distance learning course and all the teaching/assessment materials are available via the university website (it has its own page).

They have provided the course to download in the form of PDF files - but they only go so far - they are basically PDF tarted up web prints but the pages have lots of links to examples and extra asides and comments that aren't in the PDFs (the links are there but the actually pop up content isn't). That is why I want an offline record of the site.

I think the course team would simply say use the PDFs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version