ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Unfinished Requests

IDEA: Text Editor just for text (stay with me)

<< < (3/7) > >>

lanux128:
sorry to revive an old thread...

just to add my own favourite text-editors combo: Metapad & Notetab. I use metapad as a replacement for notepad but when i need heavy-duty editing tools, I bring out notetab. In fact, metapad has an in-built launcher to view the current document in another editor/browser/word-processor, etc... There is also a version of metapad that can view (not edit) a RTF file, very handy for a quick peek.

As for Notetab, basically it has tabbed interface, adequate text manipulation tools, it's own text macros and many others as explained on the web-site. I first downloaded it back in 1997 and have been stuck with it ever since... ;-)

here the links...
http://liquidninja.com/metapad/
http://www.notetab.com/

regards,
lanux

SAE140:
Have just joined - so apologises for digging up old stuff - but I fully agree with the original post that (my words) most modern word-processors have lost the plot.

When writing big scripts, say 40,000 words upwards, I'd recommend using WordStar.  Version 4 is the best, imho.  5 and 6 are more trouble than they're worth, 2000 doesn't use the same Cntrl sequences, and WordStar for Windows is a version of Wordstar in name only.

Keep it as simple as possible with v.4 and get that text into a file as simply and as effortlessly as possible.  The size of the file can be unlimited, and there are several ways of placing markers thoughout the text to enable instant jumps to wherever you need to work.  Then, when your text is finally in, import the file into WinWORD or your favourite wordproc for final WYSIWYG processing, indexing, printing, and all the rest.

This 2-stage process can save you many hours when writing.

Colin

mouser:
i have to admit to working the way SAE140 describes sometimes -
i'll write the first draft in a plain text processor (ultraedit) and then only later bring it in to word for final formatting.

urlwolf:
there are several ways of placing markers thoughout the text to enable instant jumps to wherever you need to work.  Then, when your text is finally in, import the file into WinWORD or your favourite wordproc for final WYSIWYG processing, indexing, printing, and all the rest.

This 2-stage process can save you many hours when writing.

Colin

-SAE140 (June 10, 2006, 06:14 AM)
--- End quote ---
I do this too (two stage process, using markers, simple text first, etc), but using vim. It has built-in file browser, text completion (superhandy), very fast search (inline), an outliner, etc... and it opens as fast as notepad.

You only have to get over the modal style of writing (e.g., escape to do edit operations, 'i' to start inserting text).

To finish stuff in word, I export my outines to rtf or html, and open them with word.

JavaJones:
Has anyone ever tried Lyx? Ok, perhaps not what the OP is looking for, but on the subject of dedicated text editors it's quite interesting. :D

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version