ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

In search of ... a Gateway cure ...

<< < (2/4) > >>

rgdot:
I know this is very ridiculous to post but the couple of times I have seen resource issues has been because the hard disk is getting to 85%+ full and Windows hates that

barney:
Sorry, forgot to check the notify box.

@rgdot:

Yeah, I've had that happen, but not the case in this particular instance.

@mouser, et. al.,

There's a difference between reproducible and recurring.  When this happens, I cannot run anything new, and most often cannot bring to the fore anything idling.  Have a couple of gadgets running, one of which shows CPU and RAM usage, another which shows  top n processes (in my case, ten (10)).  There's no consistent pattern there.  I have checked the Process Monitor gadget against both Task Manager and Sysinternals, all of which stay in agreement.  

But I cannot start another process/program when this arises.  And when I try to shut down/reboot through another gadget, the error message is:
"C:\Windows\system32\shutdown.exe
Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service."  If I try to restart/shutdown via the standard menu, nothing happens - no messages, no results, just a system on idle.

Once in a while I get a repeating series of error messages on the Intel (15.6" screen) with the window title of "Fail" (typical developer arrogance!) with the message body of:
cpu: -1
core: 0
thread: 0

Packages: 1
Cores per package: 2
Threads per package: 2.

Haven't seen the "insufficient thread" message come up lately so as to quote it, but it has shown on both machines from time to time.

Once this happens on either machine, it contaminates (?) the other.  The  only resolution is a BRS restart (well-l-l, the Intel box has a chrome switch and the AMD box a black one  :P).

Side note:  one of the systems I worked on early in my "career" had a red start switch and a green stop switch:  those hardware designers may have been smarter than any of us knew at the time  :P.

[Edit]
Normally CPU is ~20% usage, and RAM less than 60% usage.  There are variations, but those numbers seem to be pretty much the top for each area.

techidave:
This suggestion might be a bit off the wall but here goes.  Have you tried running a memory tester?  Although it seems unlikely that a new machine would have a bad stick, but anything is possible.

barney:
One (1) of the first things I do on any new box.  Couple of corporate instances of memory infant mortality trained me into that  ;).

x16wda:
Could be a pool shortage.  I just started looking at some similar instances myself (although with older servers).

One thing I have set up is a Microsoft tool, Memsnap.exe (in the Server 2003 resource kit).  I set up a scheduled task to run a batch file every 15 minutes with "memsnap -m c:\memsnap.log".  Then after it has a few snapshots saved you can look at the results with "memsnap -a c:\memsnap.log".  May not help, but if there's a memory leak it might point to the culprit.  (It's the simplest way I could find to watch for something like this, and it's free.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version