ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

I want to try an experiment on the site for March 2012

<< < (20/20)

TaoPhoenix:
Hmm, I must have a talent for Semi-Flamebait posts on the heels of a previously insightful one. So I take it no one liked my "Ad Page" idea in either of it's forms.

I still think we're stuck in a rut in the ad world. It's based on server side "we decide what you see, whether you like it or not, and we'll data mine you to guess what you like".  Then there's all the ad-block wars, etc.

Why don't more companies do user-selected, interactive/gamey, user topic-selected ads? I get that TV is as TV was, that's where the ad industry was born, but the whole point of the net is that people now interact. So I get that Cleaning Detergent isn't 'sexy', but then I wouldn't be the target of it anyway.

Plus, we have a Statistical Bias now, we're all watching for the ads, where as ads sorta are supposed to depend on surprise value.

IainB:
So I take it no one liked my "Ad Page" idea in either of it's forms.
-TaoPhoenix (March 05, 2012, 06:19 AM)
--- End quote ---
No, that's not true in my case. I didn't dislike the idea in either form, but it didn't seem that you were all that serious about it...   :tellme:   (Sorry.)
And in any event, your idea(s) didn't really seem to encourage the unabandonment of "the one month ad experiment".
I had thought the idea of this experiment could potentially realise some concrete and useful information/knowledge if it were implemented, and that just might lead to change for the better (which I am all in favour of). I was expecting it to go ahead until mouser indicated that he thought it might be:
...just doing random things that have little chance of providing some useful insight...
--- End quote ---

If the experiment were implemented as "random", then any change action arising from its outcome could likely be random too. That's not so good:
"Action which is not based on sound theory or "best"/good practice is irrational by definition." (WE Deming)
--- End quote ---

Thus, I figured that thinking about how to build a sturdy hypothesis for the experiment might be more immediately useful (right now) than innovative ideas - e.g., like yours.

TaoPhoenix:
So I take it no one liked my "Ad Page" idea in either of it's forms.
-TaoPhoenix (March 05, 2012, 06:19 AM)
--- End quote ---
No, that's not true in my case. I didn't dislike the idea in either form, but it didn't seem that you were all that serious about it...    (Sorry.)
And in any event, your idea(s) didn't really seem to encourage the unabandonment of "the one month ad experiment".
I had thought the idea of this experiment could potentially realise some concrete and useful information/knowledge if it were implemented, and that just might lead to
"Action which is not based on sound theory or "best"/good practice is irrational by definition." (WE Deming)
--- End quote ---

Thus, I figured that thinking about how to build a sturdy hypothesis for the experiment might be more immediately useful (right now) than innovative ideas - e.g., like yours.
-IainB (March 05, 2012, 08:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

I am easily "Medium-Serious" about this, I think there's a couple of revolutions coming in new ways of advertising. Chief of which is to stop bludgeoning visitors trying to do *something else*, and make the ads so interesting that they become the destination. The good ads get voted up, and I *guarantee* that will be a quality Ad Impression. I was also serious about my Ad Page. It specifically says "I am stopping whatever I was doing, come to me companies, feed me ad impressions!"

I'm sure there's a marketing exec somewhere who will complain "but if my ad wasn't voted down, we would have seen more sales." I don't think that's true. Yes, there's a little bit of Sniping risk, trolls, etc. But overall if a company gets a drop dead incredible ad, it rockets to the top, you'd better believe people will remember the name, which is the point of an ad.

I also think companies need to take a risk and let users mash up ads. Ads are in a weird category. Every other type of content is supposed to be "Demand Pull, don't share" with all the copyright wars. Ads are "Supply Push, and please watch it as much as you can stand." So just a rough example, Coca Cola, Inc, might be smart enough to let people play with the Coke Polar Bears mashed up on the Star Trek Enterprise, with Heavy Metal Music going.

IainB:
@TaoPhoenix: Thanks for your comment. I think I understand what you were getting at now!

As an addition to my comment above about a "hypothesis, under Metric #5, is suggested widening the user audience by (say) catering for blind or poor-sighted people by:
...enabling ARIA technology (Accessible Rich Internet Applications markup) in the website.

--- End quote ---
Just by chance I came across something else for widening audience participation today: http://www.odiogo.com/
Might be worth considering.

TaoPhoenix:

I also think companies need to take a risk and let users mash up ads. Ads are in a weird category. Every other type of content is supposed to be "Demand Pull, don't share" with all the copyright wars. Ads are "Supply Push, and please watch it as much as you can stand." So just a rough example, Coca Cola, Inc, might be smart enough to let people play with the Coke Polar Bears mashed up on the Star Trek Enterprise, with Heavy Metal Music going.

-TaoPhoenix (March 05, 2012, 11:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

I closed the loop on this theme today by offering both to "dogfood" it by using DC as our own test case, and offering a second donation to get some raw materials to mash up.  Sadly I don't have a lot of imageshop skills, but that's what mashups are, you need to accept having a base of beginners and a "bodycount" so that the experts rise up and become celebrated.

Eventually I plan to ask a few other companies if they would donate/permit some similar raw materials for mashup ads. All my efforts are meant to be respectful and promote the site/product involved, I don't plan any trolling. The only mistake I'd make is if I mistimed a joke and it went sour.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version