ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Internet - from the 1990's point of view

(1/2) > >>

PhilB66:
Trine Gallegos hosts this segment shot in 1995 when the Internet was first becoming an icon. This is an interesting look back at how clunky the applications were. I don't even think they were using a computer mouse yet.
--- End quote ---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=yFF0oQySsh4

rgdot:
Lynx  :-*

;D

x16wda:
<phew> that stuff's too exciting for me...

40hz:

FTP, Telnet, WAIS, Gopher, Archie, Mosaic, and all the rest were fun and fine.

But to me, it all really began (and will probably end) with The Whole Earth Lectronic Link (aka The WELL). :-*

Still clunky by design, IMO it's the absolute triumph of content over form. And one of the few things that predated (and later transitioned over to) the web that's still worth keeping. Maybe one of the few things worth keeping on the web regardless.

8)

allen:
FTP, Telnet, WAIS, Gopher, Archie, Mosaic, and all the rest were fun and fine.

But to me, it all really began (and will probably end) with The Whole Earth Lectronic Link (aka The WELL). :-*
 (see attachment in previous post)
Still clunky by design, IMO it's the absolute triumph of content over form. And one of the few things that predated (and later transitioned over to) the web that's still worth keeping. Maybe one of the few things worth keeping on the web regardless.

8)
-40hz (March 29, 2012, 05:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

!! Are you still there? I haven't been back in years, had all but forgotten about that beautiful little corner of the web. . .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version