ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the good part of 1Password

<< < (4/4)

Carol Haynes:
But slighting the other software's security when I know its encrypted on my computer with a private key that they don't have seems a bit backhanded... /shrugs
-wraith808 (March 28, 2012, 08:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not sure I understand that comment? I didn't say anything about 1Password since I have never used it (or made any other password manager except RoboForm - a company I now despise and wouldn't trust at all).

My recommendation for LastPass (at least worth a look) was based on the poster's original comments:

I also find 1Password has  a windows version. I installed it and find it is very basic.
So My question is: Why so many people like 1password? Because it is the only nice password management software in Mac? In windows platform, is 1Password worth the money?
-rail4you (March 26, 2012, 07:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

I was offering LastPAss as a viable alternative and you just seemed to want to rubbish it with comments that weren't, in my opinion, actually valid - such as:

* 'LastPass has access to all your passwords' - they don't
* 'Encytion doesn't take place on your computer' - it does
* 'It doesn't work offline' - it does
I was just trying to set the record straight.

I also think that because of their hacker scare (where no user data was actually hacked as far as we know) they have really upped their game on security way beyond most, if not all, of the other password managers. The fact the the multifactor security means that you can tell your account not to allow access from unknown computers with fairly complex verification and there are also two methods of requiring a physical device to be present (YubiKey or USB with Sesame software) makes it a much more secure system that any other system I have tried - and I have tried most of the free and paid offerings (except 1Password).

wraith808:
1password's license isnt' a lifetime one. You'll get discounts for new major versions though. Or is there an option to buy a lifetime license? Thanks.
-JaneDC (March 28, 2012, 09:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ah... I see that you're correct.  I'd thought it was... though as I said, I've been using it for 3 years now with upgrades, so new versions don't seem that far between.  I'm not sure what upgrade costs there are, and how necessary they will be when the time comes if I just want to continue with the version that I have, so maybe that's comparable.

Not sure I understand that comment? I didn't say anything about 1Password since I have never used it (or made any other password manager except RoboForm - a company I now despise and wouldn't trust at all).
-Carol Haynes (March 29, 2012, 03:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Who is to say 1Password is safe - and you use DropBox to sync (!!!!) - my God that makes LastPass look like Fort Knox!
-Carol Haynes (March 27, 2012, 05:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

As I'd said the files are encrypted- so dropbox doesn't even come into the equation, yet there's the comparison.
* wraith808 shrugs
Not a big deal.

Carol Haynes:
I didn't say 1Password isn't safe - just asked the question.

Actually people may worry about LastPass but almost all apps access the internet because generally apps we trust are allowed to traverse our Firewall and unless you do packet inspection it is very difficult to tell which ones are genuinely safe.

I retain my worries about DropBox - there has been enough coverage of that already!

wraith808:
I retain my worries about DropBox - there has been enough coverage of that already!
-Carol Haynes (March 29, 2012, 11:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

Does the relative safety of Dropbox matter in the event that your data is encrypted with a key that is not stored in the same place?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version