ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the good part of 1Password

<< < (3/4) > >>

rail4you:
LastPass can fill applications - you use the LastPass application desktop client app!
--- End quote ---

I forgot it's a paid feature. I don't buy lastpass. Anyone compare LastPass application with others? If LastPass application is good enough, $12/y is a killer price.

wraith808:
Who is to say 1Password is safe - and you use DropBox to sync (!!!!) - my God that makes LastPass look like Fort Knox!
-Carol Haynes (March 27, 2012, 05:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, it doesn't.  It uses a key on your computer to encrypt your file.  So Dropbox makes no difference.  Without the key on your computer and on your devices, the files are useless.

On the Lastpass front, they *have* to be able to decrypt them somehow... or how can you access it from the web?  Hmm?

My point is what is the real killer feature in 1Password. Many people say 1Password is the killer mac product. It is worth the money.
Is it about GUI design or is it a hidden feature beyond password management to make 1Password so popurlar?
-rail4you (March 27, 2012, 06:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't know that there is a real killer feature.  I like it, and I use it.  I use it on all platforms... I don't know if Keepass has that; I haven't tried it.  I paid once, and am done, and their forums and support have been very good on everything I've posted.

LastPass can fill applications - you use the LastPass application desktop client app!
--- End quote ---

I forgot it's a paid feature. I don't buy lastpass. Anyone compare LastPass application with others? If LastPass application is good enough, $12/y is a killer price.
-rail4you (March 27, 2012, 09:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

$12/year?  So after 4 years you've paid as much as 1Password.  I just don't like subscriptions if I don't have to... on a killer app that's only available that way... yes.  But not for this.  That's just my opinion, of course.

Carol Haynes:
Does 1Password have lifetime licensing or do you have to buy upgrades regularly? In which case $12 a year doesn't seem so much.

On the Lastpass front, they *have* to be able to decrypt them somehow... or how can you access it from the web?  Hmm?
--- End quote ---

From the lastpass website (my emphasis):

SECURE YOUR DATA - Protect against identity theft! Your sensitive data is encrypted on your PC. Only your LastPass password can unlock your data and only YOU have it.
--- End quote ---

The security is apparently done by public/private keys. Presumably similar to secure webpages. So latspass never sees your data on their servers because it is not there in unencrypted format.

As far as I can tell you can also use LastPass locally - they even suggest you can use it on mobile devices in Airplane mode. Data is stored (in encrypted format) on your computer and if there is no internet access you can use the local cache. I assume you could, if you want, use your firewall to block LastPAss from accessing the network/internet and only use the local copy. You can also export that data for use on another computer (which would need to be authenticated - just do that before importing the data and blocking access).

If you want to see details of mutltifactor security see: https://lastpass.com/support.php?lpnorefresh=1 (4th section middle column).

Even if you do store your data online and someone does access their server they would have to crack the encryption method separately for every single user account to get at your personal data because it isn't just password protection (the password is used with a private key to generate your LastPass private key, but it isn't the private key itself).

wraith808:
Does 1Password have lifetime licensing or do you have to buy upgrades regularly? In which case $12 a year doesn't seem so much.
-Carol Haynes (March 28, 2012, 03:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

Lifetime.  As I said, this is my pick- and he asked about 1Password.  I like it- I paid once when the windows beta was first commercially available, and I haven't looked back.  It works on all of my machines and devices, everything is synced, and it's also transparent how it's encrypted to me, so I don't personally care that I'm using dropbox, though it does have other methods of syncing if you don't even trust them with encrypted data (though I don't see why that would matter if its encrypted).  It works in my browser, and they have excellent support.  The only thing I don't like is the fact that you have to close the browser to update the desktop client (and they're pretty active on development, and since I have it on my full 5 machines and don't open the client all the time, it seems that every time I open a client I have to update).  Oh... it also has a search extension, i.e. type 1Password: and search for whatever in your address bar which is sometimes useful.

Is it worth it over other alternatives?  From what I've seen, I'd say so.  But as I've been using it for a couple of years, so I haven't really looked at anything else since I haven't seen the need. 

OT, It's cool if you're satisfied with Lastpass... I've not tried it in a while.  I do know that reading the posts from people that had been locked out of their accounts and couldn't access with "the last password they'd ever need" sort of left a bad taste in my mouth, perhaps undeservedly.  But slighting the other software's security when I know its encrypted on my computer with a private key that they don't have seems a bit backhanded... /shrugs

JaneDC:
1password's license isnt' a lifetime one. You'll get discounts for new major versions though. Or is there an option to buy a lifetime license? Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version