ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

No more WinPE?

(1/4) > >>

xtabber:
I received an email this morning from Paragon with the following message:

You own a Paragon product with the WinPE recovery environment. We would like to inform you that Microsoft has changed its license conditions, meaning that we will no longer be allowed to offer you the Paragon WinPE as of March 30, 2012.

If you haven’t downloaded your WinPE from the Paragon website yet, we recommend you to do so by March 30, 2012.

After March 30th, it will no longer be possible to download the WinPE recovery environment using your account! Customer service/support will not be able to send it retroactively!

I've been using Paragon Hard Disk Manager Professional for years and one of the benefits of their WinPE recovery environment is that you get to use the same full product that gets installed on a Windows system.

Does anyone know if Microsoft is putting the cabosh on WinPE  altogether, or if they just raised the price to the point at which Paragon no longer felt they could afford to provide the environment to users.  Are other products that offer WinPE also affected?

40hz:
Does anyone know if Microsoft is putting the cabosh on WinPE  altogether, or if they just raised the price to the point at which Paragon no longer felt they could afford to provide the environment to users.  Are other products that offer WinPE also affected?
-xtabber (March 22, 2012, 11:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

Newest version of WinPE itself is available on Microsoft's TechNet site as part of their AIK package. I don't think they make it available as a separate download however. The VistaSP1/Server2K8 version was also available here last I looked. Same deal with that. You'll need to grab the entire AIK package (1.3 - 1.7Gb) to get WinPE.

Nothing on the Reatogo, BartPE or UBCD websites about needing to pull it. But they're using the old versions. :)

Curt:
I have plenty Paragon licenses including WinPE, but have not (yet) been contacted by Paragon - maybe they are telling us  s l o w l y , so not all begin downloading 250MB at the same time. But your post makes me wonder what will happen to especially my 'Online WinPE Builder Service'.

Edited:
Now I too have received the alert from Paragon.

4wd:
Nothing on the Reatogo, BartPE or UBCD websites about needing to pull it. But they're using the old versions. :)-40hz (March 22, 2012, 12:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

But they don't use WinPE per se What I meant, (but my brain deserted me), was unlike Paragon they're not distributing a ready-made PE, they build a replica from scratch using your Windows installation or CD.

BTW, Winbuilder will give you the WinPE 3.x environment because it can use Windows 7 and 8 as the source.  Also, someone has managed to do WinPE 4 to a USB Flash drive using Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) for Windows® 8 Consumer Preview.

On a side note, I wonder how that impacts Paragons WinPE Builder?
For $20/year, IIRC, you could log in and create your own customised WinPE, (providing you had the Professional of higher version of their products).

x16wda:
Never fear, Paragon sent out an update today.  We'll just have to build it ourselves:

New service after April 1st, 2012: Paragon Boot Media Builder!         

Don’t worry: you won’t have to do without the convenience of the Paragon WinPE medium that you’re used to. After April 1st, 2012, you can download the Paragon Boot Media Builder which will help you conveniently create your own WinPE CD, DVD or USB stick yourself. Check your MyAccount section to download the Paragon Boot Media Builder as soon as it is available.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version