ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Windows 8 is just a Service/crapware pack for Windows 7

<< < (11/11)

Carol Haynes:
Another nail in the coffin for Metro - Metro IE does not support ANY addons or plugins.

http://www.infoq.com/news/2011/09/Metro-Plug-ins

Apparently this is a design decision but it means you can't use Flash based sites in Metro and also it doesn't even support Microsoft's own technologies like Silverlight!!

No plugins/addon's also mean no in browser document support (eg. PDF).

This is going to be almost as silly a iPad emails where you can't open some extension types!

OK you can use IE normally on the 'legacy' desktop but what an arbitrary and silly restriction to piss people off in Metro!

wraith808:
This is going to be almost as silly a iPad emails where you can't open some extension types!
-Carol Haynes (April 03, 2012, 02:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

This again?  Look at the bottom of the e-mail on the attachment.  Click and hold.  A slide up dialog will come up with  the default action and a button for open in.  Click Open In, and it will show the registered applications.  Not much different than windows, other than there's no 'browse for application'.  Applications can also register themselves as generic handlers for attachments.

Carol Haynes:
Didn't seem to work for ePub attachments (and yes the Kindle app was installed)

wraith808:
Didn't seem to work for ePub attachments (and yes the Kindle app was installed)
-Carol Haynes (April 03, 2012, 03:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Strange... I did it for just that...?

UPDATE: I was curious, so tried again.  It worked for my other book readers (stanza, megareader), but apparently Nook nor Kindle set themselves up to be able to handle epub.  Strange oversight, but that's more B&N and Amazon's fault (I'd say it was b/c they don't want people using their apps to read non-drm books...)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version