ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Older DC Contests and Challenges

"Unconventional Encryption Challenge"

<< < (5/5)

TaoPhoenix:
As a self-proclaimed expert on classical (pen-and-paper) cryptography, I just had to reply to this thread. If you want to challenge people to crack your self-made cipher, then it is common practice to post the exact method of encryption and decryption. Explain in detail how the cipher works and give some examples. Then you can post a challenge ciphertext, encrypted with unknown key(s). Be advised though, many "innovative" methods of encipherment boil down to one or another method that already has been in use for centuries.
-Ruffnekk (June 20, 2012, 06:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I am less giddy about this whole thing now after someone categorized for me what I had, plus I was enamored of the security by obscurity layer which I still think is slightly stronger than it looks because part of the concept was an explosive multiplicity of methods of encoding. "If you can't figure out what you're looking at, I win."

The gist I got boiled down to that few hobby decoders are good enough to break it with no incentive, but if one of the top dogs decided it was for National Security, then it wouldn't last all that long. So since you found my old thread, if you really want a whack at it, ask me point blank and I'll whip up an example in a couple of days. P.S. Include a PM request if you do so I don't lose your reply if it falls off the top 10 threads list.

Ruffnekk:
Although I´d love to have a go at it, I honestly don´t have the time for it, especially when it´s an obscure unknown method  ;D

TaoPhoenix:
Although I´d love to have a go at it, I honestly don´t have the time for it, especially when it´s an obscure unknown method  ;D
-Ruffnekk (June 20, 2012, 06:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm sorry, do I detect an irony machine?  8)

Heh - nothing is secure forever, however I think I made my point : )

One more comment: put fancier, this whole thing started with a clash between "it can't be secure" (and it probably isn't) vs "Me, No, I don't have the energy to break it". So it gets into "just how far up the hacker chain DOES it take to break brand new codes?"

Ruffnekk:
Although I´d love to have a go at it, I honestly don´t have the time for it, especially when it´s an obscure unknown method  ;D
-Ruffnekk (June 20, 2012, 06:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm sorry, do I detect an irony machine?  8)

Heh - nothing is secure forever, however I think I made my point : )

One more comment: put fancier, this whole thing started with a clash between "it can't be secure" (and it probably isn't) vs "Me, No, I don't have the energy to break it". So it gets into "just how far up the hacker chain DOES it take to break brand new codes?"

-TaoPhoenix (June 21, 2012, 12:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

I agree! Also, it depends on the reward for breaking it I guess. People generally are more willing to give a crack at a $100,000 challenge or something that contains information that has merit for them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version