ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is Google Now Evil? Ask the Engineer!

<< < (2/6) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Can I play devil's advocate?

What is a company the size of Google meant to do? They have to finance their projects and they are an advertising company. They have never hidden that agenda.

Personally I don't really have a problem with Google, except that their search service is getting less and less helpful!

FWIW I use Google services a lot but I never click on ads (not that I ever see any I would be tempted to click on anyway) and I don't use Google adwords to promote my business.

As far as I am concerned I get a free service - OK they may harvest anonymous data on my browsing but in the long run I don't really believe they get a lot from me that helps them exploit me.

Am I too naive?

Tuxman:
People who did not understand that Google is not the Salvation Army should consider reading a book instead of using the internet. Anyway, Microsoft is probably less evil than Google today.

db90h:
Microsoft is probably less evil than Google today.
-Tuxman (March 18, 2012, 08:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

God only knows. Besides, even defining 'Evil' is a hard thing to do. Thus it is all a matter of opinion. The one thing I am sure on is that I have seen nothing from Google thus far that would compel me to quit using its services.

Tuxman:
No one is forcing you to keep your privacy.

db90h:
No one is forcing you to keep your privacy.
-Tuxman (March 18, 2012, 08:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Are you talking to me? Yea, I agree. Nobody is. If I feel Google abuses my trust, then I, along with millions of others, will surely leave its services behind. That is the one reason I feel they'll do whatever they can to ensure they make people happy with regards to their Privacy Policy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version