ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

New Time management system from Mark Forster

<< < (4/4)

tomos:
Eh, I dont really want to talk about copyright here -

I didnt want to post ithe email in total as a matter of respect. He didnt say anywhere that I shouldnt, but he *did* say it would not be up on his site, and would only be available through his new newsletter. (FWIW I havent even seen a copyright symbol.)

If you want to discuss the copyright issue I'd personally prefer if it was in another thread. Thanks ;-)

wraith808:
Okay, y'all have surprised me. To me this is the Scarlet C (for Copyright) staring me in the face, because, wait for it ... "distributing it is 'wrong' ".

Watch what happens when you / if he were to (pick a grammar case) change it to a Creative Commons license - that means the owner WANTS it to get out!

The future of content is Freemiums and riding viral waves. Secret email lists are what feel wrong to me. (Email? Really?!)

I know, it's an angle at collecting value etc, it just feels to me like it's headed into an evolutionary dead end type path.

-TaoPhoenix (March 15, 2012, 09:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

No, copyright is distributing it is unlawful.  This is usually followed by DRM to enforce this.  

Undermining someone else's wishes when there is no price nor claim (he didn't say don't distribute it- he said sign up to get it) is just plain manners and respect for someone's works.  Just because they limit initial distribution by saying sign up for an e-mail doesn't imply any sort of dead end path to me- it implies about the same as sign up to our forum for a permanent key to our software.  

It's pay me for this work that I've done- the payment just doesn't take the form of money.

(Sorry... I was posting at the same time as you, Tomos.  I removed the questions and just left the statement)

Innuendo:
My opinion on the system itself - I was kind of meh. All that build up for some top-secret method of organization that has been refined over 10 years? I just expected more. I don't know exactly what I expected, but I expected there to be more of whatever it turned out to be. :)

My opinion on the distribution system - It didn't strike me as anything underhanded or insidious. It just seemed like the Old Dude wanted to know who was reading his words. Judging from his picture on his web site, he's an older gentleman & probably has old-fashioned ideas about how he wants to get his ideas out rather than that new-fangled 'throw it up on a web site, fly, and be free" approach. Regardless, he did plainly state that he wasn't going to share or sell anyone's email addresses so I'm sure monetary gain isn't the motivational factor.

Bottom line - I hope there's more to the system & an occasional email isn't going to upset me. I've got worse coming into my mailbox from time to time & to be honest, I'd eventually forget to keep visiting his web site anyway.

tomos:
My opinion on the system itself - I was kind of meh. All that build up for some top-secret method of organization that has been refined over 10 years? I just expected more. I don't know exactly what I expected, but I expected there to be more of whatever it turned out to be. :)-Innuendo (March 15, 2012, 10:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

I suspect part of why he wants contact per newsletter is because of such responses - I'm not knocking your response Innuendo! but if he had it up on his web page, I suspect the majority of responses would be similar.

But hey, think about it - why should it be more complicated?
I actually think , the simpler it is the better. No :) I actually think: it either works - or it doesnt. I'm gonna give it a go, starting it today.

PS/edit/  thanks Wraith!

hawkz:
Hi there,

We've spent some time and implemented this as a web app, it works well on mobile too.
If you could give it a go and give me feedback, I'd really appreciate it, particularly with the coder focus you have here:
BlancList.com

thanks guys - it really is a great productivity system!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version