ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

A change I've seen in the forum

<< < (2/11) > >>

KynloStephen66515:
"Mea cupla" also - sorry I have a butterfly brain! I also like arguing too much.

Birthday resolution - chill out a bit!

Anyone fancy a beer or two?
-Carol Haynes (March 15, 2012, 10:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Wish I still drank alcohol...lmao

But yeah, I think, as a whole, we need to get DC back on track...to do which, we have to all remember what DC is about (Everyone is already in-the-know about this)

The beauty of it is; is that we ALL know we have done wrong here, which means we can get back to smooth sailing without much problem.  Should certainly help lowering the amount of "useless stuff" that gets posted, causing strange and obscure Google Keywords for DC lol

I think I agree with you, and I think it just means that we all have to remember that even as we become comfortable with each other enough to engage in casual discussions within topics -- the forum is also meant to be a repository of information for other people to find and read.

As such, a real attempt should be made to give threads useful topics, and to stay on topic.

There is always the irc chat channel for when people just want to hang out and talk about nonsense :)  :Thmbsup:
-mouser (March 15, 2012, 10:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

May I propose an off-topic section on the forum, for those who don't live on IRC, so we can split off these topics that get derailed, and still be able to continue the conversation, in a more constructive manner, in a section designed to handle this.

40hz:
I'll agree and admit to going off topic on more than a few occasions. But I don't see it as a problem per se in an area like the living room. I was always under the impression that forum areas such as that were pretty much intended as "anything goes" boards, whereas things like "general software discussion" et al were expected to be more focused and narrow.

Free ranging discussion is also (in my experience) the way people actually do talk about things - including serious topics - as may be witnessed by the popularity of the Living Room compared to the other boards.  So going off on a related theme or digressing is not at all the same thing as "talking nonsense." And, as was pointed out earlier, sometimes some horseplay or diggression defuses a tense situation and allows a discussion to resume on a less emotional level.

For a focused treatment of a topic - and one intended for posterity - I think a wiki would be a much better venue than a forum. But others may see it differently.
 :)

J-Mac:
I think that this has always been the case in Living Room, though perhaps I am wrong. I don't believe I have seen this in the other sub-forums. However if it is bothering other members - as it certainly seem
s to be - then maybe I'm just not seeing it.

Thanks!

Jim

(Posting from an Android again, but this time using the Dolphin browser! )

wraith808:
I'll agree and admit to going off topic on more than a few occasions. But I don't see it as a problem per se in an area like the living room. I was always under the impression that forum areas such as that were pretty much intended as "anything goes" boards, whereas things like "general software discussion" et al were expected to be more focused and narrow.

Free ranging discussion is also (in my experience) the way people actually do talk about things - including serious topics - as may be witnessed by the popularity of the Living Room compared to the other boards.  So going off on a related theme or digressing is not at all the same thing as "talking nonsense." And, as was pointed out earlier, sometimes some horseplay or diggression defuses a tense situation and allows a discussion to resume on a less emotional level.

For a focused treatment of a topic - and one intended for posterity - I think a wiki would be a much better venue than a forum. But others may see it differently.
 :)

-40hz (March 15, 2012, 11:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

I do agree that free ranging discussion is the way that people talk about things - to a point.  However, when totally new discussions start at random in a topic about a different discussion, it just seems strange IMO.  I have a problem with that in RL at times (because my mind goes faster than my mouth, thus I'm a few steps ahead of the conversation and forget to connect things), and other people look at me strangely because of this as they have a hard time following the change in conversation.

This is the kind of thing that I've been seeing as of late, though it could just be me...

40hz:
However, when totally new discussions start at random in a topic about a different discussion, it just seems strange IMO.
-wraith808 (March 15, 2012, 12:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure I've seen that. Or at least not as much as you seem to be seeing. Got some recent examples you can point me to?  :huh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version