ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

A change I've seen in the forum

(1/11) > >>

wraith808:
...and not necessarily a good one, in my experience/opinion, is the constant derailing (or dovetailing) on topics, especially in the living room area.  I've found myself doing the same.  It seems that no matter what's posted in the topic, the discussion degenerates into a general discussion of/commenting on anything that comes to mind.  It makes notifications of topics less than useful- I'm interested in the subject, not tangential conversations and posting of links to only peripherally related articles.  It makes this less a place that things can be discussed in a fruitful and rewarding way (IMO) and more of a schizophrenic melange of ideas on some bizarre stream of consciousness.  If some of these discussions took place in real life, I'd either be confused or walk away.  And it seems that more and more people that used to contribute are doing so... I'm not sure if that's the reason, or something else.

Anyone else notice this/have a problem with this?  And if so, is there anything we can do to make this less prevalent?

rgdot:
I can confidently claim that this is the case in many forums and message boards and DC is actually not a 'good' example of what you are saying. It is just something that has happened to the internet as a very broad community.

KynloStephen66515:
Did anybody watch the game last night?

lol j/k

Yeah I have seen this change, and have actually ignored some of my own topics due to this (Replies have turned into conversation I have no interest in and are not really part of what was being said)

Ill admit, I have been known to derail a topic or two myself, but 90% of the time, thats because I am trying to diffuse a heated flame war, with some light-hearted comedy.

Carol Haynes:
"Mea cupla" also - sorry I have a butterfly brain! I also like arguing too much.

Birthday resolution - chill out a bit!

Anyone fancy a beer or two?

mouser:
I think I agree with you, and I think it just means that we all have to remember that even as we become comfortable with each other enough to engage in casual discussions within topics -- the forum is also meant to be a repository of information for other people to find and read.

As such, a real attempt should be made to give threads useful topics, and to stay on topic.

There is always the irc chat channel for when people just want to hang out and talk about nonsense :)  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version