ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Review of File Renamers — let's make a list

<< < (2/14) > >>

mouser:
Better File Rename
http://www.publicspace.net/windows/BetterFileRename/

(basically its a context menu extension, but quite good and very easy to use which makes it a good chioce much of the time)

zridling:
Got it! Would seem handy for quickly renaming a series within a folder.

patteo:
I was looking for a file renamer about two years ago and one of those which I settled on was D-FileMU.

One of the key features that drew me to it (if my memory does not fail me) were the extensive command line arguments available. And this is very handy when you want to automate the process of file renaming.

Perhaps in the review, some coverage of the quality of command line arguments could be covered for automation freaks.

I did look at some of those in the list you started off with and do not remember coming across one with as extensive command line arguments as D-FileMU.

And don't be fooled by the plain looking website. It host a pretty capable file renamer than it appears. And it's Freeware.

Extract from very plain looking home page.
"D-FileMU
D-FilenameManipulationUtility is a utility that allows you to make changes to filenames of a number of files quickly and easily. It can perform changes such as adding strings to the beginning and end of the filenames, deleting specified number of characters from beginning or end of the filenames, adding numbers in sequence to the beginning or end of the filenames, changing to upper or lowercase, Adding or removing the read only(+r) or hidden(+h) or archive(+a) file attributes, replacing strings with specified string, changing the file extension of filenames and also capitalizing words. The program can also be used as a command line utility.

The program is easy to use, very quick in performing the changes and also allows the user to preview the changes before performing them."
http://www.dimbu.com/programs4free/d-filemu/

zridling:
Thanks patteo for the suggestion on command line utility features and for synopsizing the program for us. Most renamers don't go that far. D-FileMU — I wonder how that name came about?

patteo:
Another one is Siren but I have not tested it. I only checked to see if there were command line arguments available since I was looking from the automation perspective.

http://www.scarabee-software.net/en/index.html

It's Freeware

Personally I think Command line commands is a must if you really want to automate anything with utilities like that . Yes, it would be nice to have a nice GUI. But I think, no one should take away the command line functions in the process and it is sad that in the process of making utilities for the masses, many developers forget that there's a group who can really benefit from such commands. So effectively, they end up crippling the software for them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version