ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why I Pirate - An Open Letter to Content Creators

<< < (15/16) > >>

J-Mac:
Nope, it was your comment in the post just above mine, quoted here:

Perhaps people ignore the morality of the situation because they don't realize there is a moral issue at all.

--- End quote ---
-J-Mac (March 13, 2012, 10:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

@J-Mac - umm...Jim? You might want to check again. That was Deozaan's comment. Not mine. ;) 8) His post is what's directly above yours. :P ;D

What 40hz really wanted to say! :-)) (see attachment in previous post)

-Ed

-----------------

Perhaps people ignore the morality of the situation because they don't realize there is a moral issue at all.
-Deozaan (March 12, 2012, 07:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Onward! :Thmbsup:
-40hz (March 13, 2012, 10:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ouch! So sorry 40hz!  (That's what I get for posting from that damn Android browser! Site don’t look the same, formatted for the mobile browser; I miss on most of the tiny buttons and links with large finger aiming for miniscule buttons; etc.)

Heck, the reason I took so long to post back was because I decided to wait till I got back to a real computer! (Wanted to make sure you posted this one!!)

Thanks!

Jim

40hz:
Ouch! So sorry 40hz!  (That's what I get for posting from that damn Android browser! Site don’t look the same, formatted for the mobile browser; I miss on most of the tiny buttons and links with large finger aiming for miniscule buttons; etc.)
-J-Mac (March 14, 2012, 11:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

;D ;D ;D

No problem! I once made a fool out of myself in front of a client responding to something using Safari on my iPhone - so I can fully understand what you're talking about. (Who comes up with these "mobile" page layouts anyway?)

:Thmbsup:

mahesh2k:
I can confess too. At the risk of archival of my comments and getting found on the Internet later by other generations (after 2012) or perhaps government and those who know me.

1) The reason pirated movies are better than HBO streaming or DVDs is - because the subtitles in HBO are filtered as per region. So if there is any word like ass, c* t or boobs then Indian media replaces those words with "crap" as common word for all. Seriously, this is the case here. Sometimes those words are also removed in streaming while broadcasting original audio. Another thing to note here- kissing scenes, gore violence and extreme action scenes are also removed. Try watching movies like Hostel, Black swan and few other and you'll see what I mean. In some cases, if there is an actress in see-through dress flashing on movie, that scene is also removed. So tell me, why should one thinking mind bow down to these rules just for the sake of culture and avoid pirated movies?

2) There are some movies which are classic or as per your taste and hard to buy in local market. Be it anime, saturday morning cartoons, old movies with original subtitles or uncut scenes. In local market you get the edited versions and sometimes you don't get chance to buy them at all. They're either found on the Internet or not at all. This applies to many japanese animes, non-english movies, classic hollywood movies etc.

3) Cost. This is something people are forgetting. In third world country cost of the pay per view makes any online movie totally beyond pocket capacity. So does that mean one should stop watching movies or suck it up and blame the destiny? Sorry, that ain't happening. 1 USD =40 or higher amount in asian market so from here you can guess why pay per view is evil and not affordable at all.

This doesn't mean people who share pirated stuff don't want to pay for it. Heck, I can throw double the cost of DVD in USD in some cases for watching the stuff I want. It's just that it's not always possible. You can suck it up for not driving BMW or many other things that you can't do in life, but if there is an option even if it is illegal why you'll stop yourself from having the pleasure? It's just movie or media. It's not for disrespecting or insulting content creators, it's for enjoying life with that content as long as you're alive even though by means which are not allowed as per social rules. Ironically, many things on this planet are free, it's just that you capture it with human creation and the perfect time in image, voila you own the thing.

Rant over.

bcpaladin:
Disregard

Tinman57:
  Years ago I used to have a lot of problems with software being so loaded down with anti-piracy code that the program would either take forever to load or not load at all.  That's when I thanked the pirates out there for their hard work.  I was able to download "cracked" versions of the programs that would actually work and load in seconds compared to minutes.  And every program/game that I ever bought had that sealed EULA that tells you once you open the seal you can't return the program.  So I bought a game/program that don't work and my only recourse is what?  Can't return it....
  Same thing goes for CD's.  I can't remember how many CD's I've bought that wouldn't work because of the DRM.  Sony anyone?  What recourse to you have at that time?  Helllllooooo Pirates!  Thanks for being there when I needed you.....
  And then there's the games/programs you paid good money for that was just pure trash, not worth even $1.  I got so tired of getting crappy games that I finally learned to download the program/game from a pirate site first just to see if it was worth paying for.
  And I really hate buying a CD only to find that it only had one or two songs out of 14 that were worth listening to.  It got to the point that I would download the CD on a pirate site just to see if it was worth buying or not.  That was pretty much solved with being able to buy only the songs you like over the internet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version