ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to win friends. Microsoft to CIOs: Adopt Windows 8 - or else.

<< < (7/9) > >>

J-Mac:
Computers show up fine. The directories that are shared with "Advanced Sharing" show up on each computer. But apparently the permissions don’t allow any computer to access any shared folders on any other computer. Settings are fine - I have gone over them with every and anybody who has taken a look at them. I have looked at the same settings on other home networks where all is working well. Settings are the same yet access is not there.

As for why? How the hell do I know!!? First time I have ever had a problem with networks! Don’t get me wrong - I have had problems in the past where I had to use all the old tricks like NetBEUI over TCP, etc. but that was in past versions. No one seems to have to do that with Windows 7. I have read a few articles about how the "permissions" in Advanced Sharing - which grants them to "Everyone" - don’t affect the true permissions way down deep in the OS, but I didn't want to start banging around in areas with which I was not that familiar.

Thanks!

Jim

40hz:
40hz, thank you for all that info!! Sounds like a very good starting point for me to get moving and learn this stuff.   :)

Jim
-J-Mac (March 09, 2012, 10:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Any time Jim. Glad to have you come along to try "nix" out.

-----------------------------------------------------

Ok...

I'd like to suggest to Mouser we get a child board set up for Gnu/Linux specific threads. I used to be opposed to the idea of setting it off by itself. But there's enough interest now that it probably wouldn't hurt to put it in it's own area where it would be easier to find rather than having it scattered throughout the General Software's main section.

Sound good? Or does anybody want to take a poll or have a discussion about it first? It makes sense to me, but not everybody may agree. So what do the rest of think? Any: Ideas? Opinions? Objections? Questions?

Somebody please start a new thread on it? I'd do it myself, but I've already made up my mind. So maybe it would be better if somebody who is still undecided took up point on this?

Just my 2¢ :)

40hz:
Computers show up fine. The directories that are shared with "Advanced Sharing" show up on each computer. But apparently the permissions don’t allow any computer to access any shared folders on any other computer. Settings are fine - I have gone over them with every and anybody who has taken a look at them. I have looked at the same settings on other home networks where all is working well. Settings are the same yet access is not there.

Thanks!

Jim
-J-Mac (March 09, 2012, 11:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

You're not crazy. Or stupid. I've run into that a few times in mixed Windows version networks that have Windows 7 machines.

Sometimes the only way to get around it was to create a new network location and set up sharing from scratch. 99% of the time it's the name of the workgroup that's causing problems. Sometimes just deleting what's there and re-keying it into a WinXP box fixes the issue after a reboot

But before you go to that extreme, check out this article by Microsoft and work your way through it.

If you take your time and check everything step-by-step I'm fairly confident you'll find that one missing piece of information or the settings misconfiguration that's causing your problems.

If it doesn't, the next most likely cause is a screwed up Group Policy setting in the <Computer Configuration><Security Settings><Local Policies> section. That's a headache if so - so try the easy suggestions in the Microsoft article first.

If it still doesn't work, c'mon back here and we'll figure it out together. :)

Carol Haynes:
Are you using the same account names and passwords on every computer? If not that might solve the problem or in Windows 7 turn off password protected sharing.

widgewunner:
Great thread. Thanks 40Hz for the excellent advice and (obviously) well thought out predictions for the future. (Kinda scary, but your logic seems sound to me.)

You can pull my not-required-to-be-connected-to-the-internet Win32XPproSP2 box with MSVC6, Python, PHP and Perl from my cold dead fingers!

With all the disks from my old MSDN subscription, I have everything I need to stay happy, windows-wise for the foreseeable future (as long as my old hardware hangs in there - maybe its time to stock up on some spares...)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version