ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why 24-bit/192kHz music files make no sense - and may be bad for you!

<< < (4/16) > >>

mouser:
Nudone you do not count, your sensory perception exceeds that of humans.

40hz:
Nudone you do not count, your sensory perception exceeds that of humans.
-mouser (March 07, 2012, 09:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's right. Nudone is a god! ;D

Innuendo:
Nowadays I usually listen to all my music via headphones on my laptop, from mp3's at 128kHz. I had always been skeptical of the need for using 192kHz and considered it to be inefficient in space terms and with no perceptible benefit in my case.-IainB (March 07, 2012, 04:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not only is hearing a factor, but what genres of music you listen to as well. The lossy compression of MP3s is more well suited to some types of music than others.

(All this talk reminds me of a few months ago when I had to replace my dead Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 speakers for my PC. What a trip down the rabbit hole that was....with the time invested in researching what to buy...yeesh!)

Innuendo:
Nudone you do not count, your sensory perception exceeds that of humans.-mouser (March 07, 2012, 09:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Depends on the source material. You can easily tell the difference between 256 bit-rate and 320 bit-rate on certain songs. Crashes of cymbals during certain musical stretches are often the most telling.

40hz:
27 more pages worth of good reading on sample rates and theory in this paper by Dan Lavry of Lavry Engineering, Inc. LE is one of the leading names in high-end professional audio production and engineering. Makers of gorgeous, powerful, and very $$$$ rack gear. (Note: link is for PDF.)
 8) :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version