ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Sansa Clip+ and Rockbox

(1/12) > >>

oblivion:
Having read recent reviews of the Sansa Clip MP3s (and the rave reviews of Rockbox) in this very forum, I've just bought into the concept. 8Gb Sansa Clip + was under £30 and a respected Amazon-alike here in the UK was selling 32Gb Sandisk micro SDHC cards for £18. So now I have a 40Gb MP3 player for less than £50, which is just unimaginable...

So. Rockboxing it was straightforward -- although I haven't got completely comfortable with the interface yet (and I have yet to work out a good way to build playlists that aren't album- or artist-based) -- but my main problem is... in order to transfer music to it, I have to start it with the original firmware, because the Rockbox USB isn't recognised. With a nearly-full 32Gb card (almost my entire collection!) when I boot it into Sansa-mode, it rebuilds the music library... and takes AGES.

Is that just how it's going to be? Should I have formatted the card differently?

But the sound quality is superb. If I have to live with it, I guess I'll cope...

superboyac:
Having read recent reviews of the Sansa Clip MP3s (and the rave reviews of Rockbox) in this very forum, I've just bought into the concept. 8Gb Sansa Clip + was under £30 and a respected Amazon-alike here in the UK was selling 32Gb Sandisk micro SDHC cards for £18. So now I have a 40Gb MP3 player for less than £50, which is just unimaginable...

So. Rockboxing it was straightforward -- although I haven't got completely comfortable with the interface yet (and I have yet to work out a good way to build playlists that aren't album- or artist-based) -- but my main problem is... in order to transfer music to it, I have to start it with the original firmware, because the Rockbox USB isn't recognised. With a nearly-full 32Gb card (almost my entire collection!) when I boot it into Sansa-mode, it rebuilds the music library... and takes AGES.

Is that just how it's going to be? Should I have formatted the card differently?

But the sound quality is superb. If I have to live with it, I guess I'll cope...
-oblivion (March 04, 2012, 05:27 PM)
--- End quote ---
Oh yeah...I do remember experiencing that also.  If you're like me and you use rockbox only, you can skip the rebuilding step.  That's just for the stock sansa firmware.  I forgot how I got it to skip the rebuilding process...i think i did actually get it connected by usb without needing to exit rockbox.  So it was usb plugged into my computer AND rockbox was still running.  I was able to transfer files and everything.  I think you have to hold a button while plugging it in or something like that.

tomos:
It sounds like the card is working for you, but I remembered this from the other thread, & wondered - could the problem be related to the size of the card?

IN preparation for my next vacation, I purchased the Sansa Clip Zip.  Not because I didn't already have 3 or 4 mp3 players, just because.  It's really quite cool!!  I'm no mp3 player expert, but I have followed it closely over the years simply because I'm all about music.  I'll break down what makes this thing so freaking cool.  If you've ever had a Sansa Clip of any model, I'm probably preaching to the choir:
1) Super cheap.  I got the 8GB model for $70, and the 4 GB model is $50.
-superboyac (October 12, 2011, 10:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

Good to know as I just ordered on (for £30 (GBP) for the 8Gb model plus model). A Xmas present for a friend for the gym.

I must admit I am tempted to get one too - just for the microSDHC slot (max 16Gb by the way - don't know why as I thought one of the pounts of SDHC was to remove artificial capacity limits).
-Carol Haynes (December 07, 2011, 05:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

oblivion:
Probably only indirectly. The card is definitely supported (I've checked the Sandisk forum) and the only vaguely possible issue I saw that might be relevant was the size of the allocation units at format time. The default is 16k: Sandisk recommend 32k; James Q Randombloke on the forum said 64k.

Copying 30Gb onto the card isn't exactly quick. ;) I've reformatted it with 64k and seen no difference; I either should have gone with the Sandisk recommendation or it's Just How It Is. (I'm inclined to stick with 64k anyway, it should keep the FAT smaller.)

I really do need to stop messing around with it, though. It's needed a hard power off a few times to deal with the apparent confusion I'm causing it. :)

Innuendo:
I think the 16 GB limit was a limitation of the Rockbox firmware as the stock firmware could access larger SDHC cards with no problem. I say *was* because I'm pretty sure the Rockbox devs worked through that limitation & now their firmware can access cards as large as the stock firmware can now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version