ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Renew Encryption Key for offline PS3

<< < (2/3) > >>

Deozaan:
We just put in a Harry Potter 7 Part 2  Blu-Ray and it worked. I thought that if the encryption key had expired that all Blu-Ray discs would no longer play. :-\

I'll talk to my dad about the jailbreak option, he may go for it.

Innuendo:
We just put in a Harry Potter 7 Part 2  Blu-Ray and it worked. I thought that if the encryption key had expired that all Blu-Ray discs would no longer play. :-\-Deozaan (March 04, 2012, 04:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

To over-simplify things, there's a key in your player & there's a key on every disc. You are required to update the key in your player to keep up with new disc keys that are issued. However, a lot of new releases still use older keys that your father's player shouldn't have any trouble interfacing with. :)

Diodato:
When Sony decided to require all PS3 customers to lose advertised features by removing OtherOS if you update the system, my Dad decided he didn't want to update his PS3 anymore.

Just tonight we tried to watch a new Blue-Ray and it shows an error message saying that in order to watch the movie we need to renew the encryption key. And it says the way to do that is to perform a system update.
-Deozaan (March 03, 2012, 09:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hi, I'm in exactly the same boat. My (fat 40GB) PS3 is still on v3.15 for exactly the same reason. And just like you recently ran into a BD that needs updated AACS keys. It's just this single one (Showgirls) out of over 300.
Did you upgrade your firmware? To which version? All went OK? I ask because when 3.55 came out a lot of people (including the son a good friend of mine) lost BD play, both films as well as games. Sony always claimed it was never their cause. I certainly do not want to pay 150 euro for something that I am not in blame of - that's how much Sony charges in Europe to replace the BD drive.
I am really thinking in just buying a cheap stand-alone player.

Deozaan:
I think my dad ended up just updating to 3.55 or just whatever the latest firmware is.

Diodato:
3.55 is quite old actually. I believe that 4.11 or something is the most recent. But it's the last one that for certain is hackable and can allow a Linux installation. I hardly used PSN, bought just two games on-line. But certainly don't want to give-up on Linux ...
Anyway thanx for the quick reply.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version