ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Renew Encryption Key for offline PS3

(1/3) > >>

Deozaan:
Hi folks,

When Sony decided to require all PS3 customers to lose advertised features by removing OtherOS if you update the system, my Dad decided he didn't want to update his PS3 anymore.

Just tonight we tried to watch a new Blue-Ray and it shows an error message saying that in order to watch the movie we need to renew the encryption key. And it says the way to do that is to perform a system update.

Aside from the fact that my Dad doesn't want to update the PS3 system software, their internet connection here is so poor that he couldn't download the multi-hundred megabyte update files if he wanted to.

Does anyone know of a way to update the encryption key on the old fat PS3 models without performing a system software update?

The movie is Hugo, if that helps at all.

Innuendo:
Welcome to the world of DRM. :(

The way Blu-Ray works is that playback devices only have temporary rights to play movies as their encryption key has an expiration date. If you want to play the newest movies your player has to keep up with the newest firmware.

If your father really wants to keep the Other OS option then his only option is to buy a new player & start playing his movies on it.

Deozaan:
So there's no way to upgrade or update or renew the encryption key without doing a full system update?

That's pretty ridiculous making a $500 Blu-Ray player obsolete simply because it hasn't been connected to the internet for a while. . . >:( And here I thought that Blu-Ray was supposed to be better than DVD.

lotusrootstarch:
Deo: you best bet is to get one of those jailbreak dongles (such as the E3 Flasher that I have, costs $20) and upgrade the PS3 to 3.55 then jailbreak.

You will have blu-ray and tons of additional features (via third-party apps) including OtherOS.

There're a lot of dongle dealers on psx-scene.com.

Innuendo:
That's pretty ridiculous making a $500 Blu-Ray player obsolete simply because it hasn't been connected to the internet for a while. . . -Deozaan (March 04, 2012, 02:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's the whole premise behind DRM. Companies want to control the device you play your movies on.

>:( And here I thought that Blu-Ray was supposed to be better than DVD.
--- End quote ---

The quality of sound & image quality are worlds better than DVD...which is why so many people are willing to put up with the draconian policies. :(

As the poster said above...jail-breaking is your only way out of that cycle, but I don't know if your father is willing to go that far (which is why I didn't mention it originally).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version