ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 8 to offer nine versions for sale

(1/8) > >>

zridling:
[via OSNews]:
"By all early reports, Windows 8 is going to be a good operating system. Microsoft's hegemony may be crumbling in a mobile computing onslaught, but its core empire remains undimmed. However, whereas Windows 7 had three versions, Windows 8 will apparently be ballooning to 9 versions. According to the Windows 8 registry file, the nine versions are":

* Windows 8 ARM edition
* Windows 8 Starter Edition
* Windows 8 Home Basic
* Windows 8 Home Premium
* Windows 8 Professional
* Windows 8 Professional Plus
* Windows 8 Ultimate
* Windows 8 Enterprise Eval
* Windows 8 Enterprise_______________________________________________
I understand the ARM and Enterprise editions (and that Microsoft has traditional done this with Office, but why so many Home/Pro editions? Help me understand this.

Carol Haynes:
And they will all be totally pants on the desktop.

Been playing with the preview and it is REALLY annoying to try and do anything.

All the Metro Apps are badly designed for anyone using a mouse (including the start screen).

Scrolling right and left the whole time gives me repetitive strain injury after about half an hour.

Which ones of these will sell:

ARM edition (And will probably be the best of the bunch - but only when some decent apps appear)
Starter Edition on Netbooks - because OEMs will have no choice
Home editions on laptops and desktops because OEMs have no choice.

I would personally be surprised if MS sell a single copy of any of the Pro, Ultimate or Enterprise offerings if they look even remotely like the preview - unless they count the ones they sell to their own staff!

Grief there is probably a majority of businesses still using XP and are reluctant to move to 7 - I can see the Win 8 versions causing a mass exodus to Linux when XP support is withdrawn.

Josh:
I can see the Win 8 versions causing a mass exodus to Linux when XP support is withdrawn.
-Carol Haynes (March 02, 2012, 06:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Where oh where have I heard this before....Seems like....hmmm, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP....notice a trend? And how much share has linux gained on the desktop from these "predicted mass exodus"?

Curt:
Windows 7 is available in six different editions, but only three are widely available at retail.

Win 8 has Windows Anytime Upgrade which was made for you to purchase an upgrade.
More versions, more upgrades.

40hz:
I understand the ARM and Enterprise editions (and that Microsoft has traditional done this with Office, but why so many Home/Pro editions? Help me understand this.
-zridling (March 02, 2012, 06:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's a strategy called "nickle & dime-ing the customer" where I come from. In this case, the official term is "Anytime Upgrade."

Poor Microsoft. They so wish they will be allowed to get away with what Apple gets away with.

It's good to have a dream! :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version