ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Do you use RSS feeds?

<< < (14/14)

Armando:
I might give Newzcrawler another try. I don't know if it has the "webpage watching" feature, but I remember being impressed by its general overall quality and features.

lanux128:
thanks for the input, muntealb.. it was great that you got in touch with the Newzie devs. and also you put out some good points such as external browser & tab management. the tab management features is not a big minus but being a Firefox user who is spoilt for choices with tab management add-ons, some extra options would be nice..

i remember trying out GreatNews some time ago but can't remember why i stopped using it, maybe it's time for another spin. Abilon sounds good but i'm a bit a wary of spending time with an abandoned projects, it's different if i'm already using it when it stopped being developed.. anyway, i hope desktop aggregators live on despite the online apps given away by Google & others..

muntealb:
I really think that right now GreatNews is the best free RSS reader. It is stable and has all the needed functions, but more important it has the best compatibility with any type of news feed. There are feeds that Newzie refuses to display, but GN has no problems with them. Newzie also has a problem with the date of the news items, sometimes after adding a new feed the items are not arranged correctly by date and appear as having been written at the same time. Abilon is a good program, but it is not Unicode compatible, so some non-english feeds are not displayed correctly (both GreatNews and Newzie are Unicode compatible).

Daleus:
I didn't like the questions much either.

I chose the second option, although I *don't* use them just once in a while.  I have a collection of feeds I read everyday, but I could easily live without them because I already have for 20 years ;)

As for what program, I read em all within Firefox using the "Live bookmarks" feature.  The last thing I want is yet another bloody program that I have to use.

Cheers!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version