ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Linus Torvalds on OpenSUSE

<< < (4/7) > >>

Stoic Joker:
I first spent weeks arguing on a bugzilla that the security policy of requiring the root password for changing the timezone and adding a new wireless network was moronic and wrong.-Linus Torvalds' Google+ blog:
--- End quote ---

Laptops are for traveling users. Traveling users tend to cross time zones. e.g. the time zone needs to be user configurable. period. Security protocols like Kerberos run in GMT/UTC/Zulu, independent of the time zone ... so they couldn't care less what the user sets the time zone to.

It's a portable world, so WiFI has to be flexible/accessible. Seriously what is really more dangerous ... Letting an end luser connect to random WiFi networks ... Or giving them an administrative password to use (in emergencies...) on the road.

Remote support is useless if they ain't connected to something...

I gotta go with Linus on this one.

iphigenie:
It is a very nice distro, has been my partner R's distro of choice since 97 or so (mine being slackware with occasional detours). I am sure there are ways to configure it so you dont have to give your daughter the root password for printing, but it is possible that by default the groups are not set up for it.

He's allowed to have a rant, because it'd be easy to fix on the opensuse team's part. And he's right, these things should not be in the same security class as proper system changes, because they are surface, cosmetic changes.

And now they will fix this methinks...

Tuxman:
Laptops are for traveling users.
-Stoic Joker (March 04, 2012, 01:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
No.

Stoic Joker:
Laptops are for traveling users.
-Stoic Joker (March 04, 2012, 01:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
No.
-Tuxman (March 04, 2012, 02:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Really? So you wish to assert that road warriors primarily use desktops?? ...I'd love to see you get one through airport security.  :D

40hz:

And now they will fix this methinks...

-iphigenie (March 04, 2012, 01:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

O...I think we can count on that... ;D :Thmbsup:

At the very lest, they'll give it some serious thought. That was Linus Torvalds who was ranting after all. And it's not like it's a fix so much as it's some default settings changes and a little massaging of user group assignments.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version