ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

BULK Rename Utility

<< < (5/8) > >>

shmidman:
@Curt:  You wrote: "BRU was extensively updated in the following 3 years, and is now considered bug-free".
It's true BRU is an outstanding product; however, there are a number of serious bugs that remain, especially regarding filenames that contain diacritics or non-English characters. For instance, Regex backreferences within BRU completely ignore any such characters, potentially resulting in seriously maligned filenames (see a more detailed description of this bug here: http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1528).
Thus, although it may be a solid product for English-only filenames, users with a wider character set should be wary. Note also that although the reporting of bugs continues on the BRU forum, as far as I can tell there is unfortunately not much development going on there anymore.

kunkel321:
Does anyone know how BRU compares with ReNamer http://www.den4b.com/?x=products&product=renamer ?
I actually use xplorer2 for 99% of my renaming... 
Recently I needed to remove a string of text from multiple file names.
x2 wasn't able to do it, but RN was.  It was also nice because it "pre-checked" all of the files and told in before the actual rename, if there were going to be any conflicts...  (x2 will preview the first 2 or 3, but doesn't show errors).

IainB:
Or here Mini-Reviews by Members - I love the Bulk Rename Utility!  :P
-AbteriX (February 29, 2012, 12:42 PM)
--- End quote ---
I have added a post to that review:
This review needs updating.
SUPERB piece of software!    :Thmbsup:
Bulk renames those files that other file renamers cannot rename.

--- End quote ---

...nor by deranged freeware zealots
-rjbull (March 08, 2012, 05:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
I object to the potential implication that I may be "deranged". I are not.

Using BRU makes my brain hurt, but it's a very powerful tool. You could really screw up with it big time too.

Tuxman:
While most renaming applications support appending strings and changing file extensions, they lack the possibility to batch rename files completely, or I am only too stupid to understand how they theoretically do.

For me, Ant Renamer is the only tool that is easy to use and has decent features. Might be just me...

ewemoa:
Assuming you've tried it, please share how den4b's ReNamer is lacking for your purposes -- that's the one I ended up on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version