ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Superboyac is throwing in the towel: I'm going to transition to Linux

<< < (34/36) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
Are you saying you did a Triple Boot menu? Neato!

Tinman57:
Whenever you install Linux (whatever distro), disable ACPI in the BIOS
-Shades (May 03, 2012, 07:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
  Now that's an excellent tidbit of info.  Thanks!  :Thmbsup:  I'm putting together a text file of important Linux stuff that I need to know before installing, and this goes into that text file.   ;D

Only thing to figure out now is if I'm installing a dual boot XP/Linux, what will be the outcome of disabling ACPI on XP......

TaoPhoenix:
Apparently the Linux kernel can behave very strangely when it is enabled. Most forums I visited with regards to errors I experienced always told me to disable ACPI. For some chipsets it works, but with most it just introduces erratic behavior that drives you insane.
-Shades (May 04, 2012, 04:25 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't even know what that means and why it matters! Care to help?

P.S. Where's our mascot Superboy to help carry the torch?

Tinman57:
Apparently the Linux kernel can behave very strangely when it is enabled. Most forums I visited with regards to errors I experienced always told me to disable ACPI. For some chipsets it works, but with most it just introduces erratic behavior that drives you insane.
-Shades (May 04, 2012, 04:25 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't even know what that means and why it matters! Care to help?

P.S. Where's our mascot Superboy to help carry the torch?
-TaoPhoenix (May 04, 2012, 07:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) specification provides an open standard for device configuration and power management by the operating system.

Tinman57:
  Oh Microsoft, you've done it again....  >:(  If you want to play  DVD's on Win 8, you have to pay extra.  As a result of dumping Media Center by default, out of the box versions of Windows 8 will also lose TV tuner support and DVD Video Object (VOB) file playback.

Windows 8 Dumps Default DVD Playback
Microsoft's Windows 8 will not ship with support for DVD
playback. It says DVD playback will require a "marginal cost" OS
upgrade or a third-party solution.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/255038/windows_8_dumps_default_dvd_playback.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version