ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Superboyac is throwing in the towel: I'm going to transition to Linux

<< < (19/36) > >>

superboyac:
Update:
Well, I've been messing around with Mint on my laptop for a few weeks now.  It's good, but honestly, Windows is not going to be replaced anytime soon.  And I'll tell you why...installing third party software is not easy.  First, i don't even know how to install something (I'm not asking for help, i can google when I'm ready).  Secondly, I'm pretty sure even if I find third party stuff, I have to check if it works with y distro.  So...there are a lot of obstacles and extra steps involved just to play with additional tools.  I'm sure once I get the hang of it, it's not that bad, but it ain't no download an installer and click next...next...done.

My computing habits involve downloading and installing third party tools ALL the time...every day, multiple times a day sometimes.  Anything that makes that process more difficult is going to be annoying to me.  Because I get impatient with all that stuff...my true desire is to play around with the tool, not figure out how to get the tool set up.

With Windows, I can get anything and get it up and running almost brainlessly.  The only time i get annoyed is when I see a cool tool that is only available for Macs or Linux, and NOT available in Windows.  Now, if I go to Linux, that annoyance gets magnified because there are going to be all sorts of things i find that probably won't work on the distro I'm using.

So that's the state of affairs now.  If i don't need third party tools, Linux Mint is working out great.  But that limits my use of it to my scrap computers lying around, or computers I want to give people that are not necessarily computer people (i.e. they won't be doing too much with it other than web browsing).

Now I understand the raging debate of whether or not it's good to consolidate the distros into some kind of unified thing.  I see the pros and cons of each one.  True freedom is complex issue.  It's almost like the more freedom you desire, the more you have to be willing to work for it.  The less freedom you desire, the less you have to work for it.  ironic, eh?  Isn't the whole point of freedom to not have to work?  Or is it do work, but on things you want to work for?  Interesting...linux...

mouser:
It's good, but honestly, Windows is not going to be replaced anytime soon.  And I'll tell you why
--- End quote ---

ok who won the pool? i know skwire and i both had bets in  ;D

rgdot:
not figure out how to get the tool set up.
-superboyac (March 18, 2012, 03:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

If in 2012 this is still a barrier then Linux is forever doomed <==== this may be a obvious, blatant generalization but nevertheless holds true in enough cases to matter

superboyac:
It's good, but honestly, Windows is not going to be replaced anytime soon.  And I'll tell you why
--- End quote ---

ok who won the pool? i know skwire and i both had bets in  ;D
-mouser (March 18, 2012, 03:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
;D sheesh.

superboyac:
me...and mouser and skwire:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version