ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Superboyac is throwing in the towel: I'm going to transition to Linux

<< < (15/36) > >>

superboyac:
Well, this is my first post from my laptop with Linux Mint running!  :Thmbsup:

So far so good.  Super easy installation.  Everything about it is kind of very slick.  It feels like a traditional Windows interface with hints of the Mac style.  It's very responsive.  As responsive as anything I've seen in windows, and definitely way better than a mac.  I really like everything about it, to be honest. 

Now, first thing to check out...how to tweak my circular mousepad settings (I'm using a Toughbook).  Also, my network wifi connection is really flaky...do I need drivers?  This is where I start getting scared...

Armando:
  Also, my network wifi connection is really flaky...do I need drivers?  This is where I start getting scared...
-superboyac (March 04, 2012, 12:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

... And this is where the fun begins.  :P

Armando:
Seriously... Ubuntu and Mint forums could be useful to you.

40hz:
Also, my network wifi connection is really flaky...do I need drivers?
-superboyac (March 04, 2012, 12:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you've just installed, run an update. Odds are pretty good there's updates available. If there are, half the time whatever you're running into will be fixed by one of them. Mint's good about that.

Next, can you be a little more specific as to what constitutes "flaky"? Connections dropping? Slow speeds? Trouble authenticating or getting DHCP address from router. etc..

Also do you know make/model of the wifi card in the laptop. You'll need that info. Ideally the manufacturer's website can tell you that so there's no guessing. If not, you can probe, but all that will tell you is what Mint thinks it is. If it's misidentified the card, that could cause problems.

Toughbooks also have some weird implementations of power management because there's no fan IIRC. (Magnesium case is supposed to be a big heat sink right?) Check the power management settings. For laptop wifi it's usually better to switch off the wifi card when you don't need it rather than have smart  power management try to guess when it's not needed. That can also make the wifi NIC appear to be flaky.
 :)

Carol Haynes:
Canon has a 1 color per cartridge philosophy? My MP490 takes 2 cartridges....one black, one color....
-Josh (March 03, 2012, 07:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

That is because you are a cheapskate - the cheapo models use two cartridges and then they screw the money out of you for ink.

I always buy higher spec Canon models which use 4, 5 or 6 cartridges - which have no electronics.
For me it isn't just that they are cheaper to run (still not cheap though) - they are quiet and reliable and I find the drivers a less obtrusive and just work. Also they aren't full of promotional material and advertising unlike other mainstream manufacturers.

Compare to HP where driver packages are massive and are (at best) flaky on most models I have come across - requiring regular (and very time consuming removal and re-install .... never try their update system unless you like blue screens).

Epson drivers look like they were written in the 70s and whilst they do work are often not intuitive and lack many features (or hide them in obscure places).

Bother inkjets look like they were built in the 70s and always seem to have obvious features missing (eg. one client of mine had a business inkjet/fax machine - but the drivers did not support sending a fax from a PC - you had to do it manually at the printer).

Lexmark are ... well Lexmark. Junk printers, crappy, flaky drivers and ridiculously expensive consumables (and shame on Dell for rebadging them and selling them as Dell machines).

Having said all that at least Brother actually provide Linux drivers - I don't think any of the others do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version