ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Superboyac is throwing in the towel: I'm going to transition to Linux

<< < (7/36) > >>

panzer:
Useful Linux Distros reviews:
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computer_software.html#linux

http://floyd-linux.pappapc.com/

mahesh2k:
Driver support in debian world is pretty good in my opinion. I never thought that the dial-up option in ubuntu were so detailed that they even had more than 10 local telecom providers in my country. This was in old version 10.04, so you can guess how much improvement 11.10 has so far.

I had no issues connecting Sony cedar to ubuntu 10.04 and then connecting to the internet. Old version of ubuntu 10.04 also took the Nvidia drivers, HP drivers and few other drivers from the repository. (Model tested - HP DV2500T, 2009 make). I never had driver issue for 3G devices, Phones and monitor with ubuntu. I have not checked printers, scanners and other devices with ubuntu though, so that part is still yet to explore. All I can say, other than lack of specific applications, there are not many areas where linux lacks compared to windows or apple. This is the reason I prefer debian distros, because vendors or hackers are making drivers and patches quickly compared to any other distro. Just to let you guys know you can use Sakis3g for connecting any linux distro with 3G dongles and phones.

40hz:

I haven't dabbled now for a good few years so I would be really interested to know how you get on with things like video, sound and printer support - in particular printer support, esp. as many printers are now network ready and often all in one.
-Carol Haynes (March 01, 2012, 02:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Most driver hassles are a thing of the past with the newer distros. I haven't encountered any serious issues getting most printers (or anything else really) to work under Linux for a few years now. True there are a few multi-device office all-in-ones that you can still get a headache over. But they're the same flaky models that were also a royal pain in ass to work with under Windows, so no difference there.

I've actually resurrected a few mothballed Windows-based devices that won't work with Win7 by hooking them up to Linux boxes. One nice thing about Linux. Once a driver is worked out, it stays available in the distro repositories pretty much forever. So if something ever does work under Linux, it will almost always continue to work until it breaks - or you can no longer get ink cartridges for it. ;D

Innuendo:
Superboyac, I'm glad you are willing to step out of your comfort zone and try a new OS I advise you to be careful what situation you are putting yourself in. Windows has its problems, true, but Linux has its own share as well. Don't jump in expecting an easy time of it, either. Sure, things are a lot easier than they were even five years ago and there are some excellent distros out there, a lot of the problems you run into you will have to fix yourself. If you have any problem on Windows usually a quick Google search will find a blog or forum post from a Microsoft MVP laying out the steps needed to get things back on track. With Linux, while there are a lot of people out there who will be willing to help, there's unfortunately an 'ugly' segment of the population who parrot "RTFM!" and berate newbies till they leave their forums. The numbers in that 'ugly' portion of the Linux population seem to be dwindling, though, thank goodness.

Your first step is going to be to find the distro that's right for you. Everyone's got their favorites & everyone will gladly evangelize their top pick(s), but the truth of the matter is that a distro is like a pair of shoes. You have to find the one that fits you the best & is the most comfortable for you to roam around in. This step is very important, if not one of the most important decisions you'll make while in the land of Linux. Which one you choose could easily either bring you bliss or misery so choose wisely. Unfortunately, you have to make this huge decision while your knowledge is the weakest so lots of research will make things easier for you down the road.

As for software, you are (unfortunately) using two of the 800 lb. gorillas of the Windows world. The Bat! and Directory Opus do not have anything as powerful on Linux in their respective categories. The fact that the devs of these programs get barraged with requests to port them to Linux (and Mac!) attest to their power and desirability. You'll find Linux equivalents that will do a lot of what they do. You may even get lucky and find one that does most of what they do, but they stand alone. Total Commander is the only match for Directory Opus & it's Windows only as well, although lots of people report success using TC in Wine. Directory Opus, however, is too tightly integrated into the Windows framework so no such option exists for it.

While we're on the subject of software, we may as well talk about compiling. A lot of Linux software authors don't compile for every distro out there. You may be looking at a command prompt armed with source code if you are wanting to run certain programs on your distro. Are you up for that?

Linux is definitely most suited for those with a 'gearhead' mentality, those who want power & customizability and aren't afraid to get their hands dirty in order to access it. If you are more of a set it and forget it type person (the click one button or run a wizard) you may do well to stick with Windows or check into OS X.

Your OP stresses limits due to copyright. Just because the Linux guys are doing it for free doesn't mean they won't get their butts sued off as well if they violate copyright. They are limited by copyright just like the for-pay OSes are. The law is the law.

Linux can be a rich, rewarding experience, but like most things it'll only give you back what you put into it so if you are wanting an OS that just fades into the background and let's you do what you want to do be prepared to learn a LOT so you have the knowledge required to achieve that. This will not be the "drop in a DVD, click next, click next, click next, click done" Windows installation experience.

Either way, we'll be here with you every step of the way...be it to celebrate your victory over Linux as you declare your command line mastery...or...be it to cheer you on as you tie your PC's cables to your back bumper and drive down the street. :)

superboyac:
Thanks, Innuendo.  yeah, I'm looking forward to this...I've wanted to play with Linux for a while now, but was too scared or something.

The copyright stuff, that's not really a directly related issue.  That was me talking to myself.  I'm trying to take a stand on some of the political issues that I'm concerned about isntead of just being passive about it, which has been my usual response.  What I meant by that was that I've noticed that software development has been hindered by the politics taking place now with computer stuff, namely copyright.  All this cloud development...the fact that most small shareware developers can't sustain a living anymore...much less demand for nifty windows tools as opposed to mobile apps, etc.  All that stuff.  I'm also tired of giving money to faceless companies because they just take a lot of it, and make it very difficult to establish a personal relationship, which I prefer.

I'm even changing the way I dress...another lame attempt at activism for me.  I'm transitioning my wardrobe away from my Costco and Macy's dress cloths and replacing it with handmade tweed suits made in England.  I am directly giving money to the lady who is hand-tailoring the clothes.  It costs more, but it lasts forever, is amazing quality, is custom fitted, and I only need about 3-5 of them.  It takes more money and more effort on my end, but it feels better.  If anyone is interested, I can't recommend them enough:
http://www.tweed-jacket.com/

And it really isn't as expensive as it initially sounds.  A cheap suit at Macy's will be about $200, and you can get a dynamite 3-piece for about $500.  No middle men.  So I'm trying to do more things like this.

That's what the copyright thing is all about.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version