ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Superboyac is throwing in the towel: I'm going to transition to Linux

<< < (6/36) > >>

cranioscopical:
some schizo reactions
-superboyac (February 29, 2012, 04:04 PM)
--- End quote ---
Woof!

Stoic Joker:
Because if you don't you'll eventually end up morphing into a BOFH!!!!!-40hz (February 29, 2012, 06:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

I fear it's far to late for me...

Just this afternoon I set the PFY about the task of breaking out the testing department into an isolated subnet. This is to avoid having customer and test machines creating (ghost entries) noise in the new printer tracking software.

There are two racks of ~50 printers each with a table containing two computers. One for the USB printers, and one for the network printers.

The PFY was to statically assign addresses in the .4 network, leaving the rest of the office on the .5 network ... But was confused as to how to get back and forth between them during the configuration. The network test machine was already on the .4 network, which meant he couldn't get to the .5 network to pull the machines over via the EWS (Embedded Web Server) for easy access.

So he asked me what to do...

I gave him several options like multi-homing, super-netting, adding a static route, and etc. until his eyes crossed (tehehe). ...Then he asked the right question ... What's the easiest way to do it?

I barely managed to contain myself long enough to say, use the other machine next to you that's still on the .5 network to push them over... before erupting into maniacal laughter. The PFY rolled his eyes, threw his hands in the air, and gave me the finger. He's a good kid.  :)

40hz:
Because if you don't you'll eventually end up morphing into a BOFH!!!!!-40hz (February 29, 2012, 06:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

I fear it's far to late for me...
The PFY rolled his eyes, threw his hands in the air, and gave me the finger. He's a good kid.  :)
-Stoic Joker (February 29, 2012, 07:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sounds like a good one. And apparently somebody taught him the recognition sign of the Master 32nd Degree Sysadmin - so he's cool by me!  ;D

Renegade:
Watching this thread with great interest...

My main problem is how to maintain complete MS Office compatibility, so I need to check Libre Office. Once I've solved that, I really have no truly compelling reasons to stay on Windows, though I will need Windows for quite some time no matter what. :(

Carol Haynes:
Interesting new thread. Over the years I have tried Corel Linux (ended badly), Mandrake, SuSe, Fedora and Mint and have always retreated fairly rapidly because of hardware/driver issues.

I haven't dabbled now for a good few years so I would be really interested to know how you get on with things like video, sound and printer support - in particular printer support, esp. as many printers are now network ready and often all in one.

In particular I really like Canon printers and they just don't do Linux - in the past I had very poor experiences trying to get any printer working beyond getting a sheet of poorly presented text (usually the printing was much blacker and thicker than printing from official drivers and almost never positioned consistently on the paper. I suppose it is what comes of using generic/similar model emulator drivers. Now that many manufacturers basically produce drivers from a building block approach (and so nothing is terribly bespoke any more) I a curious to know if Linux has managed to get better support.

PS a good non-committal starting point is using VMWare or Virtual box - at least they have a very common 'hardware' base that shouldn't be difficult to set up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version