ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Superboyac is throwing in the towel: I'm going to transition to Linux

<< < (32/36) > >>

wraith808:
^ I wasn't going to respond, as Josh has already pointed that we should get back on topic (transition to Linux in case we're keeping track) so it doesn't seem that this is constructive.  Your own post speaks for itself (in regards to the OEM licensing, which was what I stated; my license is not an OEM license).  As far as the other, it appears that I have offended you (or something in that regard) and if I did, I do apologize for that was not my intent.  Your statements were a blanket statement, and I was correcting them from person experience, as this was a discussion and I offered my points, not to denigrate yours, but to give a fuller picture that you might not have been aware of.  I hope that this terminates this line if conversation, so we can get back on topic. :)

Tinman57:
  I suppose my only dilemma is if/when I do go to Linux, which flavor should I go to.  But that will be a discussion on a Linux forum.  I can only imagine the fighting that will/has break/broken out between the Linux flavor fanboys.
  I've used many many different OS's over the years including Unix, but I don't really have a clue about the differences in the Linux flavors.  Actually, I don't have a clue as to how to use Linux.  I suppose one good thing about that is if I don't like one front end, I can just blow it away and try another flavor without having to blow away the whole OS.  I actually have a Linux Distro, plus WinLinux 2001, but they are both old and outdated.
  I had thought about going over to Apple too, but as much crap as I've seen that they've put their user base through, plus the cost of their machines & accessories and a few other things, I decided not to even add them to the list.
  Methinks this will require much research.... For another couple of years I suppose.....

Shades:
Let me start with that again:

Whenever you install Linux (whatever distro), disable ACPI in the BIOS. I have not met one distro who handles this well (CentOS 4 & 5, OpenSuse 10 & 11, Ubuntu 8 till 11, Fedora 12) on any of the mainboards I have tried (with VIA, Intel and NVidia chipsets). Literally, none would work. However, after disabling installation and functioning was fine. Currently I run server editions from Ubuntu and these are rock solid. For desktop use I wouldn't consider Ubuntu, but really, disable ACPI (re-)install Linux and enjoy the experience.

TaoPhoenix:
  I suppose my only dilemma is if/when I do go to Linux, which flavor should I go to.  But that will be a discussion on a Linux forum.  I can only imagine the fighting that will/has break/broken out between the Linux flavor fanboys.
  I've used many many different OS's over the years including Unix, but I don't really have a clue about the differences in the Linux flavors.  Actually, I don't have a clue as to how to use Linux.  I suppose one good thing about that is if I don't like one front end, I can just blow it away and try another flavor without having to blow away the whole OS.  I actually have a Linux Distro, plus WinLinux 2001, but they are both old and outdated.
  I had thought about going over to Apple too, but as much crap as I've seen that they've put their user base through, plus the cost of their machines & accessories and a few other things, I decided not to even add them to the list.
  Methinks this will require much research.... For another couple of years I suppose.....
-Tinman57 (May 03, 2012, 07:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe I can save you a couple of years... I can't say I know a whole lot, but see my adventures above on what a good solid weekend can do for you.

I liken it to a grid, Distro X Front End.

Each of those combos has software that is (directly) supported by those Distro X  Front End combos. For example, a Debian-Gnome combo will run different programs than a Debian-KDE combo. An OpenSUSE-KDE combo runs different programs than a Debian-SUSE combo.

So my rough advice is to think of the Software/Apps you want, (or potentially want in the future) and work backwards. I learned some 25% of "what I need to" in one weekend - I ended up with a Sub-Sub-Debian X LXDE combo. Later I can switch, but I feel it is important to start SOMEWHERE, then "just start doing things", THEN decide if it is still the best of all options, or if a switch is better.

mahesh2k:
Shades, can you explain the issue with ACPI?

By the way, my opinion on XP ending support and usage of it on old hardware is - Old hardware is not supported by soft developers too. For example, Adobe products on XP are on their way out. Same goes for some modern browsers and that way you'll be forced to upgrade. So in this case, linux is good as there are always altenative packages that works on low hardware.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version