ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

any Numpad mouse / Mousekeys for Vista?

(1/3) > >>

Curt:
I am borrowing a laptop, so I cannot test or risk anything, like I normally would do. However, this weird "mousing" on a laptop is simply not me!, so I need to know if there is any up to date version of Numpad mouse / Mousekeys or similar that certainly will work on a 32-bits Vista Home Premium?

:tellme:

Numpad mouse / Mousekeys allowed the XP user to operate the cursor with the help of keyboard only,
but both programs are now quite old, and I have not found anything similar on this laptop Vista.

Edited:
I can see it may still be possible:

Open the Use the computer without a mouse or keyboard page by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Ease of Access, clicking Ease of Access Center, and then clicking Use the computer without a mouse or keyboard.

Select the options that you want to use:

Use On-Screen Keyboard. This option sets On-Screen Keyboard to run when you log on to Windows. On-Screen Keyboard displays a visual keyboard with all the standard keys. You can select keys using the mouse or another pointing device, or you can use keys on the standard keyboard.

-Microsoft Vista
--- End quote ---

However, this feature is burried deep down in the hidden. If she would like to use her computer "now", I would first have to search here and there, to undo these settings. I need a simple program to start or exit.

Reading the quoted text again, I am not even sure I can use my own keyboard for anything other than selecting keys on the on-screen keyboard. It surely is the wrong way to do it, for me. I am of course hoping to navigate the cursor via the laptop's physical keyboard.
 :tellme:

Edit#2: this laptop has no NumPad.

Carol Haynes:
Not tried it but how about:

http://rhdesigns.browseto.org/mouseemulator.html

Edit: Update - seems to work fine on Windows 7 64-bit (albeit a bit slow in use). Personally I would like a better numpad layout - as it stands it is:

7=wheel up8=up9=wheel down4=left5=down6=right1=left button2=right button3=middle button

Curt:
-thanks, Carol,
I tried it, but on this laptop it works only in parts, not fully as it did 10 years ago.

Hmm... and right out of nowhere I am testing on her computer all the same!  :-[

Ath:
And what about connecting a corded mouse to an USB port and mousing away with that? 10 to 1 that your company's techsupport or the local supermarket has a free/cheap mouse laying around that you can use instead of the awkward glidepad mousing associated with laptops :tellme:

Carol Haynes:
Strange it works fine here (at least what it says it should do).

Should be possible to write an Autohotkey script to do this - why not post it as a coding snack request?

How about this one: http://neatdecisions.com/products/neatmouse/

Can be installed or use portable install to make a portable folder on a USB stick.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version