ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Dealing with UAC in portable tools

<< < (2/3) > >>

Eóin:
Anyone who hates UAC obviously never used Linux or OS X. Neither of those systems have the concept of a "protected desktop" so instead of a simple Yes/No prompt, they have to get you to type in a password every single time you do anything that needs elevation. OS X in particular is the worst, when installing large software such as Xcode you'll be asked to type in your password multiple times, I'm talking 5+ times, during the install process.

vlastimil:
UAC in Vista was annoying, but at least it offered some additional protection. I agree that just pressing "OK" button is better than typing a password in Linux.
UAC in Win7 is a joke. In the default mode, Microsoft's application are white-listed and do not show prompts. But it is trivial to manipulate Microsoft's executables into running any code. Hence: Win7 UAC in default mode offers virtually no protection from malware and non-Microsoft tools must show annoying prompts or fail (or exploit the security holes)... You get the worst of both worlds.

Eóin:
I agree the default is plain silly. Personally I always bump the setting up to maximum on my own machine as well as I any I install for others.

vlastimil:
That makes sense for everyone, who cares about security. The other sensible setting suitable for more adventurous people is enabling silent elevation for every process - just as secure as the default setting and no prompts.

cranioscopical:
UAC = Universal Acclaimed Cruelty?
-Shades (February 27, 2012, 12:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
Round here it's viewed as an Unnecessarily Annoying Complication.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version