ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Genie Timeline Professional 2 for 10USD

<< < (2/5) > >>

Curt:
I tested it back then when it was new, and didn't like it. Also, our Barney and Darwin almost hated it. The Home version of 2.1 was on giveawayoftheday July 21, 2010, and they are still promoting version 2.1 ! I expect it has been abandoned - and "$10" may give the same impression.

iphigenie:
I have that tool on some of my laptops, to replace "no hands backup" which I used to use. It quite happily will backup when I am on the network with my NAS, but won't cause trouble when I am not. Quite simple and seamless, so no big deal if it isnt developed onwards (seems a recurrent issue with backup programs)

Genie9 now have a cloud version of timeline, iirc. Most likely a white branded reseller thing, like all the virus scanner vendors also have nowadays

Edit : they claim not https://www.zoolz.com/, their software and Amazon S3

Innuendo:
I tested it back then when it was new, and didn't like it. Also, our Barney and Darwin almost hated it. The Home version of 2.1 was on giveawayoftheday July 21, 2010, and they are still promoting version 2.1 ! I expect it has been abandoned - and "$10" may give the same impression.-Curt (February 26, 2012, 11:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

I just finished reading Darwin's thread. There wasn't a lot of love for Genie Timeline Pro....but by the end of the thread there wasn't much love for Oops!Backup which he tried to use as a replacement, either.

And according to the the Genie Timeline Pro release notes the last version released was February 2, 2011 - Genie Timeline 2.1.11.343.

iphigenie:
And according to the the Genie Timeline Pro release notes the last version released was February 2, 2011 - Genie Timeline 2.1.11.343.
-Innuendo (February 27, 2012, 01:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have 2.1.13.345 on my machines - so not much has changed.

I find it a nice continuuous backup and inobtrusive, although when I had it using a isb drive it would complain after about 10 days of not connecting and that got annoying. Now that it uses the NAS I hardly ever notice it.

I didn't like the out of the box profiles - for me they backed up too much. And one annoyance is there was no easy automated way from the main interface to remove files that were backed up but one didnt want anymore. That'd be my top item on the wishlist. But it does nicely backup files with version and has a reasonably convenient way to go back and look at snapshots.

Note: I use this on my additional and family/friend PCs - a good way to pick up new folders with document/settings and not be surprised - my core machines have Paragon on top for full images and recovery.

Curt:
SORRY for my wrong accusations!

I am actually pleased to hear  I was wrong  and Genie still is developed
- otherwise their new cloud service wouldn't give any meaning ;-)

And of course Paragon must have well working installations as well. I original purchased my various Paragon license keys because the company was spoken well of.

What is "NAS" ?  :tellme: 
I mean "Network-attached storage (NAS) is file-level computer data storage connected to a computer network providing data access to heterogeneous clients" tells me very little. They might as well say it in Russian or Chinese (which I don't speak).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version