ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Another internet lowlife

(1/4) > >>

tranglos:
My new site has been up only a couple of weeks now. I've just received the following turd. (Names and addresses blanked out, because these people need to be not known.) It goes like this, emphasis mine:

Hello,

My name is ______ and I recently stumbled across your blog tranglos.com. I work for a company, __________ Inc., that connects bloggers with advertising partners. I currently have clients that are interested in sponsoring a few posts. This helps them with brand awareness and is a great opportunity for you to make some money from your blog.
Check out __________.org for more information and testimonials. Please feel free to contact me directly if you are interested in a partnership or have any questions at _____@______________.org. There is no need to submit the form on our site, as contacting me directly will lead to a quicker response.
If you are interested, contact me at this email address to begin the process.

--- End quote ---

Oh, and the subject of the email was "I love  tranglos.com!" With a double space before the domain name, a tell-tale sign this is a machine-generated script.

I told them what I think of them and where they can stick their brand awareness, but this stuff really makes me mad as hell. They are destroying whatever is left of any credibility on the net. Why the !@#$% is it so easy to be evil?

Eóin:
I come to the conclusion recently that there is nothing wrong with the internet at all, that in fact it is working as perfectly as one could ever want, just don't believe a word you read on it.

berry:
My new site has been up only a couple of weeks now. I've just received the following turd.
-tranglos (February 23, 2012, 02:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
Welcome to the toilet  :)

Innuendo:
I don't see anything wrong with that email. You can't blame someone from maximizing their income in this tough economy and the email was at least polite and respectful.

If you had encountered a true 'turd' you wouldn't have received an email from them at all & instead they'd have a bot responding to every one of your blog posts with a thinly veiled sales pitch for their products.

I hate unsolicited advertising in my email as much as the next guy, but in this situation I think they took the high road.

wraith808:
Why the !@#$% is it so easy to be evil?
-tranglos (February 23, 2012, 02:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

I refer you to two quotes:

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

"Power without responsibility — the prerogative of the harlot throughout the ages."

Basically, to restrict the ability to be an asshat on the internet, you'd have to give bigger asshats more power, i.e. SOPA, PIPA, etc.  Once you have a site, you have to be able to deal with these, and recognize them as your own responsibility, IMO.

I hate unsolicited advertising in my email as much as the next guy, but in this situation I think they took the high road
-Innuendo (February 23, 2012, 03:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you believe they're serious, then yes.  It's more than likely a scam.  Just like there aren't Nigerians with a lot of money waiting to hand it out if you give them your bank account, there also aren't invisible investors willing to give you money on your blog for a few posts, especially if you don't have traffic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version