ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Another internet lowlife

<< < (4/4)

Innuendo:
Come on, I can't believe you were serious there.-tranglos (February 23, 2012, 03:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe I've lived behind Ad Muncher and other layers of spam/ad/poo removal that I'm out of touch with what goes on when the internet is unfiltered? I often hear about epic-scale virus/malware/worm/trojan months after they've happened as nothing reaches me behind my layered defenses.

I was serious, but maybe my view from my digital ivory tower is skewed. :)

Jibz:
I refer you to two quotes:

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

"Power without responsibility — the prerogative of the harlot throughout the ages."

Basically, to restrict the ability to be an asshat on the internet, you'd have to give bigger asshats more power
-wraith808 (February 23, 2012, 03:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think that was rather well put :Thmbsup:

tranglos:
I think that was rather well put :Thmbsup:
-Jibz (February 24, 2012, 01:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

And I agree, but there are limits to where these arguments apply. Not everything is speech (hence free), and not everything is protected.

I lived through the early Spam Wars, it was issue #1 or very close to it for a long time. Just to give an example, you can't put your slogan (commercial or not) on the wall of my house without my permission. That's not speech, it's trespass. (And I even believe it is sometimes justified, as when the speech is politically motivated graffiti in an environment where you have no other venue to publish your speech. But never when it is simply commercial.) You can't hit me in the head and say you're only expressing your views, either. This is only to illustrate that the mere invocation of free speech does not always apply, and believe me, it's been tried and done to death.

If a doctor recommends a therapy to you as the best, while in fact he's only recommending it because he gets the nicest kickback for doing so, that's not free speech either. You can't advertise sugar as a cure for cancer. Etc.

In the case of "sponsored blog posts", the deception is similar. I'm not really interested in how legal or illegal that might be wherever you or I live. It is unethical to the max and it makes the world significantly worse for all of us. A healthy dose of hate for these guys is entirely warranted.

wraith808:
In the case of "sponsored blog posts", the deception is similar. I'm not really interested in how legal or illegal that might be wherever you or I live. It is unethical to the max and it makes the world significantly worse for all of us. A healthy dose of hate for these guys is entirely warranted.
-tranglos (February 24, 2012, 04:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh... I wasn't referring to the blog posts.  I was referring to the idea that someone would actually sponsor a blog for posts with limited audience.  If you just started the blog, you don't have an audience yet... so this whole e-mail is actually a scam in all likelihood IMO.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version