ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

uTorrent alternatives?

<< < (3/5) > >>

Tuxman:
eMule? BitTorrent is a dead concept, made with centralized trackers in mind which has been proven a very bad design idea.
If you desperately need BitTorrent for whatever, I'd recommend Deluge, but it crashes for me.

Carol Haynes:
1.8.3 was a good version and still works fine on Windows 7 x86 and x64

One website I am registered with has banned version 3 because it doesn't track usage properly.

Lashiec:
You can disable all the nagging around the UI. My version looks almost exactly like 2.x

I would personally recommend Halite, if Eóin still kept working on it. As it is today, it is at a disadvantage because it doesn't support as many features as the others. Plus, it looks pretty snazzy. The competition tries its utmost to be the ugliest option available. At least we're still much better off than a couple of years ago, when both Mac and Linux roundkicked Windows' ass when it came to the number of options available. Now they just simply kick its ass.

BitTorrent is a dead concept, made with centralized trackers in mind which has been proven a very bad design idea.
-Tuxman (February 23, 2012, 03:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Indeed, DHT seems to be faster locating peers than most trackers. A torrent directory is not the same thing as a tracker, though ;). ed2k and KAD still have the upper hand when it comes to decentralization, but they're working on solving that for BitTorrent. Are both networks still having enough activity, anyway?

Tuxman:
eD2K has been slowly dying since they added Kademlia, back in version 0.40 which is quite a while now. Kademlia is alive, well and kicking. :)

MajorBob:
The best way to download torrents is with Tixati.  :Thmbsup: Not only is it a great and fast torrent client, but it's also a fun place to hang out, chat, search and share with others. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version