ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Today is Your Last Chance to Remove your Search History from Google's New Policy

<< < (2/6) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
And....?
-Josh (February 22, 2012, 07:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well that means you may never be able to undo your secret habit of viewing Denver the Last Dinosaur Videos from your history. So they'll keep selling your data until a Chinese company offers you Evolution Kits.

IainB:
@mouser: Thanks for this. It caused me to change my mind.
I had already read about it in the post of 2012-02-21 in the Deeplinks blog (EFF), but had flagged it in my mind as only a partial removal of data, and therefore of not much use.
However, I changed my mind after reading your post and the EFF site again - where it looked as though they had updated their post twice on 2012-02-22.
I figured that every little bit of privacy for us "products" of Google's could potentially help, and so I deleted my Google search history.

That was quite a hard thing for a packrat like me to do!    ;)

IainB:
So they'll keep selling your data until a Chinese company offers you Evolution Kits.
-TaoPhoenix (February 22, 2012, 09:22 PM)
--- End quote ---
Very droll.    ;D

bob99:
It may be too late already.  I went to look at my history to see what was there and maybe clear it.  The only screen that comes up for me is:

Today is Your Last Chance to Remove your Search History from Google's New Policy

I do not get the option like the screen shown in the EF example:

Oh well.

Josh:
And....?
-Josh (February 22, 2012, 07:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well that means you may never be able to undo your secret habit of viewing Denver the Last Dinosaur Videos from your history. So they'll keep selling your data until a Chinese company offers you Evolution Kits.
-TaoPhoenix (February 22, 2012, 09:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

That would imply care that I care about their knowing about me looking up desktop photos of midgets riding on a stegosaurus while eating green jello and wearing a party toga from the movie animal house.

Privacy, and security, are illusory in the modern age. To believe otherwise is simply gullible. I am not saying we should not monitor and continue to scrutinize companies like Google, but I am saying that we need to look at what we are scrutinizing and just how much our perceived notion of "privacy" is being impacted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version