ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Software Alliance's FRAND proposes to have Free software outlawed in the EU?

<< < (2/8) > >>

Eóin:
EU bureaucrats making up this seemingly bonkers type of legislation
-IainB (February 28, 2012, 07:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Care to elaborate?

40hz:
--- End quote ---

Care to elaborate?
-Eóin (February 28, 2012, 12:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's difficult to elaborate on. Mainly because the drafters of the proposed legislation repeatedly refuse to define the terms they're using in the law - or to be pinned down on exactly what they mean.

It's almost like asking the EU to sign a contract that's 50% blank page, with the assurances "we'll fill in all those little details later."

8)

Eóin:
So instead of trying to do the impossible and rigorously define “Reasonable And Non Discriminatory” (RAND) for every possible corner case they are instead leaving it to judges to make the decisions on a case by case basis?

40hz:
^Well...why do we have to act as if these are our only two choices here? Why not say "none of the above, thank you."

There's nothing stopping them from just walking away from FRAND because it's such a crappy piece of legislation. But it's crappy legislation certain well-funded parties are intent on pushing through no matter what so I doubt they'll drop it.

Still...instead of attempting to define the impossible - or having judges do a case by case - why not just draft a rational law that isn't so blatant about the dirty deal it's trying to pull off.

Oh, right! That's because that dirty deal is the entire point isn't it? ;D

IainB:
--- End quote ---
Care to elaborate?
-Eóin (February 28, 2012, 12:26 PM)
--- End quote ---
I should probably thank @40hz for doing that much better than I probably could have done!    :Thmbsup:
At least he's on the right wavelength.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version