ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Losing my e-Book religion

<< < (4/6) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
Sadly, I have to say that all of these issues are why I never bothered with ebooks. Unfortunately it's going to get worse before it gets better, and the time frames are long, but big picture it all feels "temporary", like the music scene before Steve Jobs told the companies to attend San Terradino Fransican University (STFU) and sell plain MP3's.

I would only accept some four ebook formats: Text, RichText/Word/ODF, PDF, and your choice of some other lenient format.

I'm going to go on a limb with a throwaway prophecy and say China is the sleeping giant here. Watch what happens when they decide to learn competent English, make a non-ideological Linux Distro, make their own office package, their own ebook equipment, etc, then the western companies will be in trouble with proprietary formats.

TucknDar:
Just to go against the majority(?), I'm very happy with my Kindle Touch. I find e-ink a pleasure to read, buying books easy and there's no problem backing up my books. If I wanted to I could keep my Kindle offline 24/7 and still put/pull books through USB. Software updates as well. No amazon fanboy, but this works very well for me, at least.

wraith808:
Just to go against the majority(?), I'm very happy with my Kindle Touch. I find e-ink a pleasure to read, buying books easy and there's no problem backing up my books. If I wanted to I could keep my Kindle offline 24/7 and still put/pull books through USB. Software updates as well. No amazon fanboy, but this works very well for me, at least.
-TucknDar (February 22, 2012, 10:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's what I want.  And from my prior experiences with FictionWise before being bought by Nook, that's what I expected.  But the truth is far from this in the case of the Nook.

I think the biggest problem has with AmazonBarnes & Noble is the fact that he's trying to download books he has already paid for & yet AmazonBarnes & Noble wants to authorize his card again for the purchase. There's no sane reason for them to do that.
-Innuendo (February 22, 2012, 09:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

This!  (Other than the corrected Amazon)  Why should they have to use my CC on purchases I already made?  Thank you! :)

Stoic Joker:
-TucknDar (February 22, 2012, 10:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's what I want.  And from my prior experiences with FictionWise before being bought by Nook, that's what I expected.  But the truth is far from this in the case of the Nook.

I think the biggest problem has with AmazonBarnes & Noble is the fact that he's trying to download books he has already paid for & yet AmazonBarnes & Noble wants to authorize his card again for the purchase. There's no sane reason for them to do that.
-Innuendo (February 22, 2012, 09:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

This!  (Other than the corrected Amazon)  Why should they have to use my CC on purchases I already made?  Thank you! :)
-wraith808 (February 22, 2012, 10:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Indeed, it's like buying a car, taking it in for service, and then having them want to re-run the credit check before letting you pick it up. Then refusing to give you back your car...because your credit is maxed. And they wonder why piracy is such an 'issue'.

40hz:
make a non-ideological Linux Distro
-TaoPhoenix (February 22, 2012, 10:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

Government mandated censorship. Rampant government corruption. Blatant censorship. Tolerance of nationalist hackers and cracker teams. Cyberwarfare bellwethers. Outright disregard for international law whenever it suits them. Poor civil and worker's rights records. Manipulation of their currency exchange rate to boost their balance of trade at the expense (and impoverishment) of their own citizens. Persecution of ethnic and religious minorities. A very loose hand when it comes to passing out capital punishment...

And all this in the name of creating a "Worker's Paradise?"

Non-ideological? Them?

This is China you're talking about right? 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version