ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for a "virtual scanner' software in one pass, outputting in PDF.

<< < (8/8)

tomos:
I'm pretty sure this idea was also discussed in another thread (with Contro requesting ?)

I'm not sure, but I suspect that, to some extent, the price may reflect the sophistication of the design and the technology in use.-IainB (July 17, 2012, 03:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

-I hope you're right, IainB, because if I press Ctrl+Alt+PrtScr, FastStone Capture will create an accurate screenshot of the entire page, and offer me to merely click Save as Pdf - and I have a much better looking copy than any virtual pdf printer ever will give me - at a fraction of the price.-Curt (July 17, 2012, 09:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'd imagine something like Omnipage would have the ability to do a higher resolution image though, and other stuff as Iain says.

if not looking for OCR you (one) could ask mouser if the ability could be added to screenshot captor, now that he has fancy scrolling capture, it could be captured at full-page-width in order to get better quality image. (There's already the request to save scrolling image shots as multiple files.)

IainB:
...if I press Ctrl+Alt+PrtScr, FastStone Capture will create an accurate screenshot of the entire page, and offer me to merely click Save as Pdf - and I have a much better looking copy than any virtual pdf printer ever will give me - at a fraction of the price.
-Curt (July 17, 2012, 09:11 AM)
--- End quote ---
If you only want a few pages, and you only want an image, then I think it might be best to stick with FastStone Capture or some other screenshot capture tool, rather than something like OmniPage. The book I was referring to was 300 or so pages long, and not what you'd really want to do page-by-page. OmniPage apparently just chuntered through the document in one pass.

I don't know that OmniPage did:
"...a higher resolution image..."
--- End quote ---
- because it did an OCR scan of the image in video/graphic RAM that had been read in from the .PDF file (quite clever really).
Going from digital-->digital-->OCR analogue though is likely to produce some errors. (The output was text and images in a Word document, don't forget.)

The suggestion of doing a scrolling screen capture of all the pages of a document in a .PDF reader would seem to have merit. I wondered about asking @mouser to add that to SSC (ScreenShot Captor) too, but didn't as it's not something I would want to do all that often. Nowadays, I could probably do something similar in OneNote otherwise.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version