ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I Need DC Input

<< < (7/22) > >>

4wd:
SJ, (I know you were watching when I typed this  :P ), any comments/ideas/alternatives?
-4wd (February 23, 2012, 06:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

eek! ...You work for Google?!? -Stoic Joker (February 23, 2012, 07:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nothing so evil...but I do confess to staring at the Who's Online sometimes  :-[

Removing stuff is generally easiest ... So just unplug the IDE cable from the board, run the install with the SATA devices, and if all is well...pull the IDE device power cables. Device removal is optional.
--- End quote ---

I think the only way to get the SATA optical going in it's current position is to unplug both IDE power plugs - I think I can see an extra SATA power connector on that lead.  Otherwise there doesn't seem to be enough lead length between the any of the plugs, (molex/SATA), to enable both SATA devices to be powered.

But then after install it would need to be unplugged again due to the need to have the Maxtor working, so then the IDE optical would need to be powered again, (again because of insufficient lead length between plugs) - leaving that nice SATA optical sitting all by it's lonesome again.
Aarrrgghh!  :wallbash:

Hell if it was my mom...I'd be lucky to get that far.
--- End quote ---

Mine too ;D

Stoic Joker:
SJ, (I know you were watching when I typed this  :P ), any comments/ideas/alternatives?
-4wd (February 23, 2012, 06:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

eek! ...You work for Google?!? -Stoic Joker (February 23, 2012, 07:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nothing so evil...but I do confess to staring at the Who's Online sometimes  :-[
-4wd (February 23, 2012, 12:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

I always forget about that.

Removing stuff is generally easiest ... So just unplug the IDE cable from the board, run the install with the SATA devices, and if all is well...pull the IDE device power cables. Device removal is optional.
--- End quote ---

I think the only way to get the SATA optical going in it's current position is to unplug both IDE power plugs - I think I can see an extra SATA power connector on that lead.  Otherwise there doesn't seem to be enough lead length between the any of the plugs, (molex/SATA), to enable both SATA devices to be powered.

But then after install it would need to be unplugged again due to the need to have the Maxtor working, so then the IDE optical would need to be powered again, (again because of insufficient lead length between plugs) - leaving that nice SATA optical sitting all by it's lonesome again.
Aarrrgghh!  :wallbash: -4wd (February 23, 2012, 12:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oops! ...Caught me not paying attention. I was thinking the IDE was all done (and missed the power cable issue).

Pull the IDE optical drive, and move the SATA HDD to its position. Then just bolt it to one side (they don't torque-up that hard), and if it sags a bit it can't go far...it's already at the bottom. Put the SATA optical in the slot above it, now the cables reach ... And the IDE HDD can have the leftovers where it's at.

...Unless there is something else I'm missing.

Innuendo:
CleverCat, sorry to see you are in South Africa. If you were anywhere close to me I'd have been more than happy to road trip over to fix you up.

4wd:
Pull the IDE optical drive, and move the SATA HDD to its position. Then just bolt it to one side (they don't torque-up that hard), and if it sags a bit it can't go far...it's already at the bottom. Put the SATA optical in the slot above it, now the cables reach ... And the IDE HDD can have the leftovers where it's at.-Stoic Joker (February 23, 2012, 01:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nice  :Thmbsup:

The IDE optical won't be used but then at 8 years old it's probably near laser-death, (depending on frequency of use).

Unplug the IDE cable from the IDE HDD during the install and then plug it back into the last plug on the cable.

No extra parts required, only a screwdriver needed - is that possible CleverCat?

CleverCat:
CleverCat, sorry to see you are in South Africa. If you were anywhere close to me I'd have been more than happy to road trip over to fix you up.
-Innuendo (February 23, 2012, 03:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Now wouldn't that be ideal! It's a very nice gesture... :-*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version