ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I Need DC Input

<< < (5/22) > >>

Stoic Joker:
It's been a while since I played with ATA/IDE devices, so anyone, (40, SJ), know if the Slave device will still work if the Master is removed?-4wd (February 22, 2012, 02:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nope, somebody has to be in charge. :) ...However the optical drive could be set to either cable select or master for the duration of the install if need be.

That's realy a strange (bad) configuration, as IDE will only run at the speed of the slowest device, and optical drives aren't usually that fast. So it's got to be holding the IDE HDD back performance wise.

If it's an 80 wire cable the plugs are color coded:
Black = Master
Gray = Slave
Blue = MBoard

4wd:
That's realy a strange (bad) configuration, as IDE will only run at the speed of the slowest device, and optical drives aren't usually that fast. So it's got to be holding the IDE HDD back performance wise.-Stoic Joker (February 22, 2012, 06:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

But having only one IDE port on the motherboard kind of limits things :)

I thought I read somewhere that they finally got around that slowest device problem, here we go from our friends at Wikipedia: Parallel ATA
So really only a problem if accessing both devices on the same bus concurrently.

I'm hoping that the optical drive is sitting on SATA Channel 1 and not IDE Channel 1 but with my luck.....

Still a nice picture of the inside should clear things up a bit :D

Stoic Joker:
That's realy a strange (bad) configuration, as IDE will only run at the speed of the slowest device, and optical drives aren't usually that fast. So it's got to be holding the IDE HDD back performance wise.-Stoic Joker (February 22, 2012, 06:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

But having only one IDE port on the motherboard kind of limits things :)-4wd (February 22, 2012, 08:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

True, I was thinking of the $20 SATA DVD burners I saw on NewEgg and musing aloud.

I thought I read somewhere that they finally got around that slowest device problem, here we go from our friends at Wikipedia: Parallel ATA
So really only a problem if accessing both devices on the same bus concurrently.-4wd (February 22, 2012, 08:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'll go with theory vs. practice on that one. It could be true...but I've never seen it happen. Come to think of it, I've never seen UATA-6 running at 133 either. *Shrug* :)

I'm hoping that the optical drive is sitting on SATA Channel 1 and not IDE Channel 1 but with my luck.....
-4wd (February 22, 2012, 08:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Mine too ... But hay! ...Dare to dream!  :Thmbsup: :D

CleverCat:
No more Road Blocks - Pleeeeeeze......... ;D

I've been asking about the Slave/Master config for years but keep getting - "It's not a problem" - I don't agree.... ;)

Anyway - here are the pics Mum took (on the floor, in her nightie wearing a dust mask - there was a whole family of Dust Bunnies' living in the case which she cleared with canned air!)  ;D ;D

CleverCat:
The one optical connected at mo is an IDE! Its 8 years old. But the disconnected one is SATA.... :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version