ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

FreeFileSync - automated backup - Mini-Review

<< < (8/9) > >>

x16wda:
I've used the program, plus others, but of all the options it fits my needs the best. I dislike the installer which is Open Candy or whatever, however it is straightforward to opt out of the "extras".

I also donated once and got the same message. After the thank-you period ends, it's back to business as usual with the standard installer.

IainB:
^^ Yes, FFS (FreeFileSync) have not changed their packaging model for a long time, AFAIK.
The OpenCandy continues to be a PITA, which I guess could have generated enough complaints for them to offer the ad-free version, if one makes a donation. Probably not a bad idea anyway, really.

FFS is currently on v8.5.0.0. I noticed when I was installing it a week ago that they had started to offer the software "ad-free for a donation".
This might be quite unfair to suggest, but I must admit that, given the apparent frequency of updates of FFS, I had begun to cynically wonder whether they were not "update thrashing" just to multiply the frequency of the OpenCandy being used - i.e., to gain revenue - rather than to release any significantly useful updates. Shades of GS-Base.

Regardless, FFS seems to continue to be an excellent piece of software and is apparently not stagnating.

x16wda:
I had begun to cynically wonder whether they were not "update thrashing" just to multiply the frequency of the OpenCandy being used - i.e., to gain revenue
-IainB (October 05, 2016, 02:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Of course they are.

IainB:
I had begun to cynically wonder whether they were not "update thrashing" just to multiply the frequency of the OpenCandy being used - i.e., to gain revenue
-IainB (October 05, 2016, 02:20 AM)
--- End quote ---
Of course they are.
-x16wda (October 05, 2016, 05:30 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well, one can only suppose.
"By their fruits ye shall know them."

Lintalist:
The question you have to ask yourself, do you really want to run any risk with such a potentially critical program (your backups and data privacy) by using a program that might install additional software if you don't pay careful attention?

It used to be quite easy with this program as you could unpack the installer and simply copy the program itself without running the risk of accidentally installing something else. That is now no longer so easy (or has become complicated). So I stopped using it a year ago and no longer recommend it to friends.

I now bought a backup program for piece of mind and support.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version