ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

I want to try an experiment on the site for March 2012

<< < (11/20) > >>

mouser:
Appreciate the thoughts, but 90 days is too long to live with ads on the site.

Tuxman:
Ads? On the interwebs? Haven't seen them for ages...

TaoPhoenix:
Appreciate the thoughts, but 90 days is too long to live with ads on the site.
-mouser (February 20, 2012, 07:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

No reverse the order, 91 days ad free, then ads kick in.
The point is that "fly by night users" who only stay a month then drift off need a good impression, it's only the "budding regulars" who end up seeing ads.

wraith808:
Appreciate all the thoughtful comments, but just to keep us grounded:

* I do not want to put ads permanently on DC, and do not intend to do so, and won't be doing so.
* I do not think we get the kind of daily traffic that would bring much income from ads (we have 35+ gigabytes a day of downloads of our software, which is pretty huge, but we do not have so many daily readers, the way a popular blog does)
* This is really just a matter of being curious, nothing more.-mouser (February 19, 2012, 03:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

I guess if you're already set on not doing the ads permanently, then my question would be what is the purpose/would be learned?

mouser:
Tao, interesting idea.. but i'm afraid that would be a very narrow experiment..

Wraith, your question is the same as Chris's, and I don't have a very good answer.. It's just been a few years since we last tried it and I'm curious to what happens if we try it again.. How much revenue will ads generated? What kind of ads will it show? Will it change the number of people who donate? Will google change our search rankings?  None of these reasons are particularly compelling, and if it would take a lot of work to put it in place it would hardly be worth the effort, but since we implemented it a long time ago it's really just a matter of throwing a switch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version