ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help me choose an online backup service

<< < (24/27) > >>

mouser:
I haven't.. I suppose it couldn't hurt to ask..

mouser:
Recent negative review of CrashPlan: http://goinside.com/2012/03/07/crashplan-crashes-and-burns/

Also it should be said that CrashPlan has a support forum but its very obviously culled of negative stuff and kept virtually empty.. Another bad sign.

Jibz:
Recent negative review of CrashPlan: http://goinside.com/2012/03/07/crashplan-crashes-and-burns/
-mouser (October 31, 2012, 06:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

I am not saying there is not a lot of stuff that could be better about CrashPlan, but that is not the best review I've ever seen. Just look at the way he handles any comments that do not agree with him. Looks more like he was going for the snarky SEO headline he mentions at the beginning himself :-[.

I mean, just as an example, if you do just a little homework you would know that most services like this only backup what is in your documents folder and a select few other places by default -- some even only allow certain file types or locations to be backed up at all.

mouser:
Agreed, it's not a very objective review..

mouser:
An update:

I contacted CrashPlan as f0dder suggested, and mentioned the discussions on this forum about CrashPlan; I mentioned that I would like to post any reply to my email to the forum threads.

Somewhat surprisingly I got a reply right away saying they read the post and yes I could include their reply.  Already you have to give them a lot of credit for such a fast support reply and having someone reply who felt comfortable saying I could post their reply:

I do note that you are using our old default settings of 300kbps when away and 200kbps when present.  Please adjust these settings under Settings > Network to something that best suits your network. For reference, our new default is no limit for both present and away. Any computer created in CrashPlan after June or so (I quite honestly do not remember when we made the adjustment) will have the new defaults.
--- End quote ---

I was advised to adjust my Network tab Settings for "Limit sending rate" upward from what support person said was "old defaults" of around 300k.

Now I had already adjusted those settings under "LAN", which is what I thought was the setting appropriate for me.  But I went ahead and changed the "WAN" settings this time, and whammo I'm up to 500k/s (!)

So the WAN network speed setting was the solution for me -- and i'm a happy camper.

And I must say I'm decidedly more optimistic about CrashPlan now, given both the new upload speed and the speed+quality of the support reply I got.  :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version